Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Cylinder Popped out plug, Horrible ticking followed.... Lil help  (Read 4761 times)

SDDERF04

• SD

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG3 - Switchblade

So,
I was going for  another cruise on my new to me 2002 FXDWG3 CVO Switchblade. I was approaching 380 miles in to what VIKING LAND HARLEY told me I had a 2000 mile warranty, just scooting along and BOOM!!, Pa pop pop.... Dead bike at 80mph on the interstate. Coast it to the shoulder to find the rear plug had blown out the head on the rear cylinder.  :o I call them and explain the situation and they come back with, "well, it was 2 weeks or 2000 miles, sorry. So there I am stuck, no warranty. I check and the plug hole has carbon build up from where it was creeping out before it blew, so I hoped it was a simple fix. 1 hour later I limped the bike to the Watertown HD dealer, purchase a tool kit, two plugs and some never seize. I use one of the new plugs and never seize to go in a couple threads, remove, crank it over to blow out carbon... repeat until plug( properly gaped) is fully seated and tightened down.  Bike seems ok, so I scrap my trip and ride home. By the time I get home the bike is making an awful ticking sound in the back cylinder, like a knocking.  I think I may have bent the rods or damaged the valves when it had rapid compression loss at 80mph. I purchased a service manual and will be tearing this puppy down when I get home from work.  I am just curious if anyone has had a plug blow out and what damage it may have caused to their bike so I dont over look anything when I have it apart.  Sucha bummer.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:11:24 PM by SDDERF04 »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member

Having a plug blow out is not a common issue. Usually when it happens it takes the threads with it and then needs to heli coiled. Tearing the top end of the motor down is not that hard. Just take you time and lay everything out on a clean shop towel. The ticking noise could be a number of things. But if it is in the top end nothing good is going to come from it.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SDDERF04

• SD

If I could load a video I w would show you. Its not the top so much as the side. It definitely sounds bad. Thanks for the advice, I will take my time. Id say a a twelve pack or so to tear it down and analyze, but some parts, and a 12 pack pack together... lolz.

SDDERF04

• SD

I forgot to mention, That the dealer did compression testing and engine work before I purchased it. My assumption is the twiddle di dumbass that was working on it for got Righty is tighty and failed to seat the plug to the crush washer. 

SDDERF04

• SD

Ok, Got  Vimeo account. Here are videos of both sides while the bike is warm.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

possibly some carbon on top the piston could be the cause of your noise, easy to fix with the head off...and carbon will make some bad noises. hope its that simple  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mike jesse

• Junior CVO Member

Pull the pushrod tubes and check for a loose pushrod, (if equipped).
Check for a compression release that is not fully seated. My 124 has the manuals and if it sticks part way open will make a similar sound.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6

I would make sure before you tear any thing apart you make sure the noise is coming from where you start your disassembly.  Could be something simple.  Make sure the spark plug you just put in isn't woking its way back out and your hearing compression going past the threads.  Like mentioned previously it could need heli-coil to repair it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and dealer problems as well. 

Todd. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

You might want to take a serious good look at the threads in that hole.  Even if they "look" good, you could still have a leak up the side.

The 02 and 03 Harley Davidson F-150 edition of Ford pick up had a super charged motor and the heads only had about four threads and so they had a history of blowing plugs.  It's a terrible noise at freeway speed, forty miles from town at 11p.m. at night.  Thank God for AAA.  The Ford SVT trucks had a few of the same issues but not like the Harley edition.  They replaced the head and so I was able to get a real good look at it on the bench.  At first look, looked like it was OK but the wrench put a bright light/magnifying glass on it and then I saw what he saw. 

I suspect you have a leak.....but it is also possible that a very small piece of the threads fell down in their on top of your piston. No way of knowing for sure without pulling the head.

You can put a helicoil if you don't want to replace it.....that's not real uncommon when a plug blows.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDDERF04

• SD

Thanks guys for the input. I will be checking all these things when i return home from offshore. I have also dug up my emails to the Dealer and its a 95CI SE Stage 2 kit BB kit on it. I am hoping while tearing it down I find something easy and obvious. If not it looks to get kinda pricey to replace whats already in the bike, which i will have to do... who seriously downgrades after a hick up... Not this guy. lol. 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Rear Cylinder Popped out plug, Horrible ticking followed.... Lil help
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »

If I could load a video I w would show you. Its not the top so much as the side. It definitely sounds bad. Thanks for the advice, I will take my time. Id say a a twelve pack or so to tear it down and analyze, but some parts, and a 12 pack pack together... lolz.

Best to leave the barley-pop boxed up, until the tools are wiped down, and put away.

SDDERF04

• SD

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:33:16 PM »

Probably right on the beers. I sense troubleshoot may get frustrating. I have been speaking with a few friends and they suggest I bite the bullet and take it to a different dealer to have the damage documented then present it to HD as what a certified dealership is not doing as per their own warranty, due to time frame. They knew I worked offshore when i bought it and obviously the two weeks passed by and it sat in my garage. 380 miles into a 2000 mile warranty shouldn't be on a time frame.

I have a month out here in the ocean until I get home. So in a couple weeks Ill decide after deliberating the two sides of the coin. Either way a stink will be made about Viking Land Harley's inability to honor their word.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »

Probably right on the beers. I sense troubleshoot may get frustrating. I have been speaking with a few friends and they suggest I bite the bullet and take it to a different dealer to have the damage documented then present it to HD as what a certified dealership is not doing as per their own warranty, due to time frame. They knew I worked offshore when i bought it and obviously the two weeks passed by and it sat in my garage. 380 miles into a 2000 mile warranty shouldn't be on a time frame.

I have a month out here in the ocean until I get home. So in a couple weeks Ill decide after deliberating the two sides of the coin. Either way a stink will be made about Viking Land Harley's inability to honor their word.

Was that a dealer warranty?  Did they give you anything in writing?  If the warranty was under HD or the HD extended warranty I would think you would be covered.  The fact that they "checked" the compression points to a dealer screw up.

As per another thread, it seems that two weeks is their CYA response.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »

2 weeks or 2,00 miles which ever comes first? Dealer is a crook I'm afraid I would be on his doorstep and have a talk with someone above the guy that told you that.  If that didn't work it would be a problem only solved by a good thrashing. 

Good luck
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.