Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Installed Premium Ride Double Cartridge now need help please.  (Read 4812 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Installed Premium Ride Double Cartridge now need help please.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »

I can see it shouldn't make any difference in rebound rate which way the spring is installed, I guess? But if I understand your comment your saying there is spring noise. Thats exactly what I'm trying to discern; should there be spring noise or not? From other comments and folks i've talked to no one has reported "sprung bed" noise. My concern is not whether the springs are/were upside down but what is causing the noise; something else installed wrong?, long amount of oil? Type of oil? I would think I would hear more of a hydraulic noise than a spring noise. I know i'll either end up living with it or more probably tearing it apart to see why.

Spring noise can come from several sources.  The springs rub against the inside of the tubes, the ends can move slightly, and then the coils themselves can rub each other.  If the actual end of the spring isn't formed exactly right, it can rub against the spring seat and make a noise. With a straight wound spring, the coils will have less tendency to rub each other.  With a progressive wound spring, the end with the closely spaced coils could rub more easily.  The reason I can't figure out why it would make any difference if the spring is installed with the closed end up or down is that the noise should travel up and down the tube regardless. 

If the dealership actually put in the correct amount of oil, I'm not sure what else they could have done that would make the springs noisy.  It may just be the nature of those particular progressively wound springs, and it may be something that will improve over time and miles.  I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but unfortunately I don't have one.  If anyone might be able to explain it, perhaps Progressive Suspension could if you could get in touch with one of their technical people.  You don't have to tell them it's the Harley kit, just say you had progressive springs installed and have a lot of spring noise you didn't have before.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
Re: Installed Premium Ride Double Cartridge now need help please.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »

Jerry; thanks for the well thought out reply. I'll take your advice and give them a call. The more info the better.
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.