Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the compensator have to be removed to install the Baker chain adjuster?  (Read 2882 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4

I was thinking of installing the Baker Attitude Primary chain adjuster in the primary but the instructions indicate that the compensator needs to be removed.  I'm hoping someone here has found a way of getting it past the compensator without having to remove it.  I called Baker and they said it's possible but as far as they knew the compensator had to be removed.  I installed the latest compensator on a parts warranty last spring and had to remove it twice more for one reason or another, can't remember.  I hate to have it taken off 3 times since I already have had such a poor record with compensators.  I was going to install the Compusave but I'm hoping the Baker chain adjuster will offer me more protection on the bearing assembly.  Like many of you I'm waiting for some long term reports on the Baker Compensator.  I do plan on installing a small steel bar and install a bunch of those strong earth magnets.  I have installed the Dimple drain magnets on all my drain plugs and they are just super strong.  Looking for anyway to make the primary components last a little longer.  One method help the clutch and bearing assembly but raises hell with the compensator and the other method oils the compensator.  Not sure which way to go at this point.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I called Baker and they said it's possible but as far as they knew the compensator had to be removed.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Only advice I can think of after the "help" you cite as Baker suggesting above is not to listen to Baker.  Statement couldn't be any more contradictory or, apparently, intended to just pacify a customer and either get them off the phone or make a sale.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust

I tried to install the attitude adjuster without removing the compensator. It couldn't be done. By the way, the gmr compensaver and the attitude adjuster cannot both be installed at the same time. You need to choose which one you'd rather have.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I tried to install the attitude adjuster without removing the compensator. It couldn't be done. By the way, the gmr compensaver and the attitude adjuster cannot both be installed at the same time. You need to choose which one you'd rather have.

Sorry to read there wasn't a quicker install.  Which option did you select?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust

Sorry to read there wasn't a quicker install.  Which option did you select?

I went with the Baker Attitude Adjuster. The compensaver and attitude adjuster each claim to address potential problems. I know my chain was extremely tight with the ratcheted OEM automatic chain adjuster when cold. I'm going to give the latest HD compensator a chance to see if lasts. I'd rather change a compensator out than crank shaft or main shaft bearings because of a too tight chain. I don't trust the Hayden unit to be robust enough. So far so good. My transmission has never shifted so smoothly since I installed the latest HD compensator and the attitude adjuster and I have about 10,000 miles on the new parts.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4

I knew that the Compusaver & the Attitude Adjuster could not be used together.  Just had to address the loose main bearing with the Baker Street door and adjust the tight primary chain I will most likely go with the Baker as well.  Although I'm tired of installing compensators.  I've been sitting on the fence just waiting but my clutch just started slipping a few days ago so it might be a clutch and the Baker since the Compensator is brand new.  Either way I'm sure a day will come when I will regret my decision,  that's just how it works sometimes.   As my wife said last night you no longer have to prove it's a money pit just buy what you need & fix it.  The lady loves to ride, heck she was on her Dad's Harley's in grade school.     

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.