Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SEUC² Saddle Bag Lights  (Read 2833 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
SEUC² Saddle Bag Lights
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »

2Ln, which LED lights do I need 54333-04 or 54331-04?

In our TP, there is already a LED light. Can 2 X 54333-04 (@ $33.95) just be added?

TIA, AJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SEUC² Saddle Bag Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:03:40 AM »

2Ln, which LED lights do I need 54333-04 or 54331-04?

In our TP, there is already a LED light. Can 2 X 54333-04 (@ $33.95) just be added?

TIA, AJ

AJ, just remembered your leather tour pak.  The saddlebag lights mount above the saddlebags to the bottom of the tour pak.  I'd bet the leather paks don't have the holes to mount them.

To confirm if the tour pak light is even the same look at it and see if it has places to connect two other lights to.  If so the next step would be to decide if you're willing to drill three holes in the bottom of each side of the tour pak to mount the lights in.

If the answer to either of those two is no, however, than you likely don't even have these saddlebag lights as an option.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:11:33 AM »

AJ, just remembered your leather tour pak.  The saddlebag lights mount above the saddlebags to the bottom of the tour pak.  I'd bet the leather paks don't have the holes to mount them.

To confirm if the tour pak light is even the same look at it and see if it has places to connect two other lights to.  If so the next step would be to decide if you're willing to drill three holes in the bottom of each side of the tour pak to mount the lights in.
If the answer to either of those two is no, however, than you likely don't even have these saddlebag lights as an option.

I'll check the holes this afternoon but I think there are two holes on each side to move the TP back. & why 3 holes?

Shouldn't there already be a hole in the saddle bag for the power locks? Could you use this hole to run the SB light wire?

Wouldn't it just be a light, wire, and plug?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 02:18:52 AM »

I'll check the holes this afternoon but I think there are two holes on each side to move the TP back. & why 3 holes?

Shouldn't there already be a hole in the saddle bag for the power locks? Could you use this hole to run the SB light wire?

Wouldn't it just be a light, wire, and plug?

The holes we're interested in here are other holes.  The standard tour paks have some rubber bumpers on their bottom front corners.  The bumpers are what the pak would rest on if it were set on the ground.  Those bumpers utilize a couple of holes for their rubber nipples to hold them in place.

To install the lights those bumpers come out and the lights go in their place.  Come to think of it they use just two holes not three.  I was thinking to two bolt holes for the studs on the lights to go through and a third one for the wires. But I remember now that one of the studs is hollow and the wires come through it.

So two small holes in the forward bottom corners of the tour pak.  The lights would mount there to shine down on the saddlebags.  But you'd still need the controller built in to tour pak's own late to power them and time them down if they get left on.

They can be powered directly.  Without the controller.  They'll light up that way.  But if memory serves they won't turn off when powered directly.  That'd be a wee problem.....

Ok, just thought of one other alternative.  Drill the little holes in the tour pak so they can be installed over the saddlebags.  Mount them in place.  Power them directly from the circuit powered by the accessory switch.  The switch would turn them both on and off rather than each side working independently.  But it's a relatively simple solution to allow adding lights for over your saddlebags.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 02:23:44 AM »

So what you're saying is that the lights normally would mount under the Tour Pack. I was thinking that they would somehow mount inside the saddle bags.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 03:18:56 AM »

So what you're saying is that the lights normally would mount under the Tour Pack. I was thinking that they would somehow mount inside the saddle bags.

Yes, mount on the bottom of the tour pak shining down on the saddlebags.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:59:17 AM »

Yes, mount on the bottom of the tour pak shining down on the saddlebags.

Hey 2ln. Long day! I'm back up at Sassy's in Lancaster getting more of her 'stuff'.

The light mounting position makes sense now. I was thinking that they somehow mount inside.

Are there any problems with corrosion? Why not double side tape the lights to the bottom of the TP and run the wire through one of the existing holes?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 01:01:58 AM »

Hey 2ln. Long day! I'm back up at Sassy's in Lancaster getting more of her 'stuff'.

The light mounting position makes sense now. I was thinking that they somehow mount inside.

Are there any problems with corrosion? Why not double side tape the lights to the bottom of the TP and run the wire through one of the existing holes?

There are two threaded studs that are part of the lights.  You'd have to wack those off (without cutting the wires in the process as the wires come through one of them).  Once wacked off I would be concerned about moisture getting inside the light housing from the backside.

However.....

If they could be kept sealed the only thing you have to do is get the wires to power and ground.  If there is some existing hole that would keep the lights in some position over the saddlebag you'd have an option.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

hey there, I read your post, I have been thinking of installing a set of saddlebag lights on my FLHTCUSE2. I have been thinking about installing them in the bottom of the speaker pods, they line up with the saddlebags, (so the light will shine into the bags) and I can remove the speaker pods so the install work, should by clean and easy. What do you think?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »

hey there, I read your post, I have been thinking of installing a set of saddlebag lights on my FLHTCUSE2. I have been thinking about installing them in the bottom of the speaker pods, they line up with the saddlebags, (so the light will shine into the bags) and I can remove the speaker pods so the install work, should by clean and easy. What do you think?

The only requirements are going to be:

1) a position to shine down in the bags
2) power and ground
3) a switch if they're hooked up directly without the tour paks master light controlling things

When I screwed up and thought I had a bag light burned out rather than a problem with the controller in the pak light I ended up isolating the bag light by powering it directly.  That's when I found out it stayed on.  Staying on would be ok though if you switched the power input using the accessory switch or some other toggle.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »

On the ones I've got, each light is self controlled.  Turning on the tourpak one, only the tourpak comes on, if I want the saddlebags on I have to turn each on individually.  Have they changed them?
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:00:54 PM »

On the ones I've got, each light is self controlled.  Turning on the tourpak one, only the tourpak comes on, if I want the saddlebags on I have to turn each on individually.  Have they changed them?

On the sets I've looked at (two since my own) they were all as mine are.  Power goes first to the tour pak light and from it back to the saddlebag lights.  When everything is working normally they all function independently.  Each can be turned on by itself, turned off by itself, etc etc etc.  But a problem at the tour pak light's little built in module can/did effect any of the others.

So though do work as independent lights.  Just as one would expect them too.  That's why when one of my bag lights stopped working I (mistakenly and stupidly) never gave it a second thought and wandered down to the bike shop to buy another.  Just assumed it had burned out. 

Trouble was that didn't fix it.  In looking further discovered that the original and the newly purchased light both worked (all the time) if they were powered directly.  So it wasn't in the bag light after all.  Then noticed that everything came from the tour pak light.  Looked at it more closely and discovered its little controller.  Problem was there.  So even though the tour pak light itself was working it was keeping the bag light from illuminating.  Another trip to the parts counter.  Another light purchased.  Voila.  It all functioned again.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »

thats a great job :pepper:

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.