Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pirelli tire feedback  (Read 3967 times)

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
Pirelli tire feedback
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:03:31 PM »

I'm interested in feedback from anyone who has used the Pirelli Night Dragon on their touring bike.

I ride one up, (2009 CVO Road Glide) so the lower rated weight capacity shouldn't be a big issue.

Thanks in advance,
Russell

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
Re: Pirelli tire feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:41 AM »

I installed the Pirelli Dragons on my 13 CVO Ultra about 3 weeks ago I've got about 1200 miles on the so far. I was torn between the Michelin Commander II, the Continental Milestone Mileage Plus and ended up with the dragons. Ive had the Michelins before and they lasted me about 1200o Miles with still a bit of tread left but severe cupping both front and rear, not sure why as I check tire P religiously .
But back to the Pirellis. Had my indie mount them and then realized he didn't balance them. I took the from off and Balanced it and as I was headed out to the rally the next day I searched for some type of balancing bead and added "Counteract" beads to the rear. They handle "great", they do tame the tar snakes and unevenness's in the road, they're very sticky (after about 100 miles of breakin) and i was wondering how they would do in the rain, well it poured on us a couple of days and the were excellent in the rain and really cut through the deep standing water well. I'm still concerned with the balance and would suggest that you make sure that they index the wheel and balance the tires well when you install them if you go that way. So, so far I'm happy with them, time will tell from a wear standpoint though. Oh I ride 2 up a lot w/andW/O packed bags.
Good luck

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »

I installed the Pirelli Dragons on my 13 CVO Ultra about 3 weeks ago I've got about 1200 miles on the so far. I was torn between the Michelin Commander II, the Continental Milestone Mileage Plus and ended up with the dragons. Ive had the Michelins before and they lasted me about 1200o Miles with still a bit of tread left but severe cupping both front and rear, not sure why as I check tire P religiously .
But back to the Pirellis. Had my indie mount them and then realized he didn't balance them. I took the from off and Balanced it and as I was headed out to the rally the next day I searched for some type of balancing bead and added "Counteract" beads to the rear. They handle "great", they do tame the tar snakes and unevenness's in the road, they're very sticky (after about 100 miles of breakin) and i was wondering how they would do in the rain, well it poured on us a couple of days and the were excellent in the rain and really cut through the deep standing water well. I'm still concerned with the balance and would suggest that you make sure that they index the wheel and balance the tires well when you install them if you go that way. So, so far I'm happy with them, time will tell from a wear standpoint though. Oh I ride 2 up a lot w/andW/O packed bags.
Good luck
I have used Dyna beads and they work great.
Currently on my 4th set of Harley Dunlops and have experienced severe cupping on every set thus far..... time for a change and hoping to hear more about the Pirelli's. Longevity means less to me than confidence the tire will stick to the road. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

rascal, while fireguy's feedback may be beneficial in terms of grip and handling perceptions, don't forget that his CUSE uses a different size rear tire than your SERG.  His 180/55B16 actually comes in the correct 81H load rating from Pirelli.  Pirelli only offers your 180/55-18 size in a much lower 74 load rating.  I know some SESG riders on the site have claimed to use these tires regardless of the load rating difference.  I'll tell you what I told them in the past.  It's your life and your bike, and you can do whatever you want, but the smart money is on using tires that are actually rated for your bike.  People do things all the time that aren't very smart and some even manage to get away with it, but I can guarantee you that no reputable tire professional would approve of what you're contemplating.  Or as Dirty Harry would say, do you feel lucky?

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:00:04 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »

Thanks Jerry; your point is a valid one !!

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »

Yes very good point indeed..! I overlooked the OP comment regarding load rating.
On my CVO the rear is 180/65 B16 with a load rating of 81H, front being 130/80B17 65H, which are the same as stock specs and during my search it was more important to match or exceed the load rating capacity of the tire than the longevity. Conditions change, bike weight/load may change and with only 2 wheels to relay on you have to be confident in your choices..Trying the Pirelli's I knew would be a sacrifice in longevity and hope it will be a benefit in road holding and wet ability which seems to true so far. I'll let you know on the longevity...

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »

Has anyone independently weighed the front and rear of an 09 CVO Road Glide ?
Curious to see what the weights may be on a loaded bike cw rider.

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

Re: Pirelli tire feedback - Added bike weight
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »

Finally got to weigh my 09 SERG.

The bike was full of gas, King Tour-Pac installed, no luggage, and me (I weigh 100kg or 220lbs) on the bike.

Front wheel - 230kg = 506lbs
Rear wheel - 300kg = 660lbs

Heavier than I thought !!!

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 06:35:32 PM »

Hmm, another huge factor is when speeds go up load carrying capacity goes down.
IMHO - I'm with Jerry - no way I would risk the load carrying capacity.

I've been down a few times, sure hurts and takes longer to heal up each time. just saying!

jeffj

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

Does anyone else that are running these feel like they are noisy?  Like tire/road noise..??
Glen

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »

Does anyone else that are running these feel like they are noisy?  Like tire/road noise..??
Glen

I haven't used them, but personally wouldn't care much if they were a little noisier. Just wish they met the suggested load rating.
Getting increasingly frustrated with the Harley Dunlop and wishing someone made a suitable replacement.

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »

I didnt have a lot of choices either.  At this point, I really cant make a fair assessment of the Night Dragons.  I can tell you that they are BOTH noisy and the front is  really noisy!!  I have tried a few different tire pressures, but I'm convinced its just the nature of them.  I also developed a buffeting wobble since the install of the tires.  I have checked everything...cant find anything definitive.  It doesnt happen till about 70MPH...I digress..I cant comment on the rain/wet handling as it oddly enough hasnt rained in a few days..
Glen

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »

No input on the tires you asked about. I also have a 09 SERG and changed to Michelins. On my second set and they seem to do better than the Dunlops. Not many options unless you change wheel size. I'm not totally convinced the tires are fully to blame. I think the heavy bike and other bike issues contribute to the tire issues.

BigLew

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »

Excellent article and explanation of tire wear and cupping: 

Motorcycle Tire Wear

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »

Excellent article and explanation of tire wear and cupping: 

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Good information !

Thank you !

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.