Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canadian warranty pricing  (Read 1025 times)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Canadian warranty pricing
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »

Just bought a new switch back for the wife yesterday and was told that warranty pricing is now fixed
I've heard this from two dealers now
Is there any truth to this?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7- Black & Orange
Re: Canadian warranty pricing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »

I'm not sure about the warranty pricing, but I am interested in how you and your wife like the new Switchback ? We are also considering the same model for my wife, she test rode one last weekend and really liked it compared to her 2007 883 Sportster Custom that she has put 9,000 miles on. Did your wife also have another model before the Switchback ? What color did she buy ? Did you ever consider a Softail Deluxe for her ? Thanks and safe riding !!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »

Just bought a new switch back for the wife yesterday and was told that warranty pricing is now fixed
I've heard this from two dealers now
Is there any truth to this?

Since you're in Canada, laws may be different than they are in the US so I doubt many of your southern neighbors will be able to answer your question.  In this country, even though Harley would love to dictate everything including the brand of TP the dealer uses in his restroom, there are legal limits to what they can force an independent businessman to do.  While they can strongly suggest dealers not discount bikes and parts and ESP's (not warranties, those come standard with the bike), ultimately the dealers can charge whatever they want.  If I was a dealer and I decided to sell that $40k MSRP CVO to my best friend for $20k, it's none of Harley's business.  If I decided to kick in an ESP for half price, that would also be none of Harley's business.  But since you're in Canada, you really need to ask people in your country who deal with franchise laws, consumer protection laws, etc. how it works up there.

The nice thing is that you aren't locked into buying an ESP from a Harley dealer.  There are other companies offering the same kind of coverage, often at better prices.  Check around.

Btw, notice that while Harley might frown on discounting, they don't seem to have any problems with price gouging.  I haven't seen them shut down any of those joints around Daytona charging $10k over MSRP for instance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »

I'm not sure about the warranty pricing, but I am interested in how you and your wife like the new Switchback ? We are also considering the same model for my wife, she test rode one last weekend and really liked it compared to her 2007 883 Sportster Custom that she has put 9,000 miles on. Did your wife also have another model before the Switchback ? What color did she buy ? Did you ever consider a Softail Deluxe for her ? Thanks and safe riding !!!
She liked it on a test ride with the only mod being the demo close/lowering seat. Superior blue...not being offered in '16. ABS is standard...and she got security.She traded her '06 XL1200c in Dragonfly green.....that was a great color! Did consider the Deluxe........didn't like the retro look
...and then we'd have to add hard bag$ and a windshield.
Her criteria for her new bike was fuel injection, ABS, and hard bags (the three strap bags on her Sporty looked great..but were a PITA.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:28:40 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.