Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Y splitter to run more than one antenna on a Boom Radio  (Read 7352 times)

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Y splitter to run more than one antenna on a Boom Radio
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »

I'm no XM expert but I recon it's the antenna placement.  On your truck, if it's like mine, it is located on top of the cab.  No matter what direction the truck is going, the antenna can probably "see" the southern sky.

On the motorcycle, and I do not know where the antenna is, probably not so it can always have an unrestricted view of the southern sky.  There may be times when hard parts or your body obscures the signal.

I do not think any booster will help and it is not a weak signal that can be amplified so much as it is no signal.

Just my opinion.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

mark

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »

I'm no XM expert but I recon it's the antenna placement.  On your truck, if it's like mine, it is located on top of the cab.  No matter what direction the truck is going, the antenna can probably "see" the southern sky.

On the motorcycle, and I do not know where the antenna is, probably not so it can always have an unrestricted view of the southern sky.  There may be times when hard parts or your body obscures the signal.

I do not think any booster will help and it is not a weak signal that can be amplified so much as it is no signal.

Just my opinion.
You're probably correct. I recall reading several posts where guys remounted the XM ant. on the little inner fairing shelf behind the windshield and they reported no signal issues.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

I remounted the one on our 13 CVO Ultra outside the fairing on top of the GPS mount on the dashpad. The antenna is a small square block looking piece that fit perfectly using a piece of double sided tape and then routing the antenna in behind the GPS mount and into the radio. Easy enough, you just have to losen the GPS mount and unplug the antenna and reroute the small diameter cable. Improved the signal reception greatly. The only other option is to buy an after market antenna that mounts off your handlebars.

Good luck!  :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »

Have you considered the possibility that the cable to the standard antenna is damaged somewhere between the radio and the antenna?  Sure sounds like that could be the case to me.

Jerry

I will second Jerry's suggestion about the factory cable being damaged....happened to me.  Reception was great when the '12 SESG was new.  About a month into the ownership, I noticed intermittent reception on my normal stations.  When all reception went away, I checked the radio plug in the faring along with checking (again) the antenna connections.  While tracing the cable, I noted the incorrect placement of the "extra" cable the factory placed (just in case you added a tourpac I'm assuming).  The extra should be tie wrapped and stored behind the left/primary side cover.  Mine was actually tie wrapped to the swing arm and the drive belt had rubbed a place in it.  I repaired the cable, put it where it should be and no issues again with FM reception.

covgrt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 02:02:10 AM »

I had good luck with the under fairing antennas I used in Washington state

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

covgrt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 02:03:15 AM »

I disconnect the rear

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 06:35:38 PM »

I would like to try using the splitter so that when I am using my tour pac I can use the stock antenna on the tour pac for reception. Can you send me the info on the splitter you found. Thanks AG

CVO Limited

• TN

• CVO1: 2014 Limited
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »

I would like to try using the splitter so that when I am using my tour pac I can use the stock antenna on the tour pac for reception. Can you send me the info on the splitter you found. Thanks AG

Here is the part information: FAKRA SMB B 9001 Splitter . You'll have to do an internet search because I don't have the link anymore.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:14:06 PM by CVO Limited »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »

Kind of related...

Lately I've only been listening to my XM Radio, but getting tired of loosing the signal so often riding the roads we all love to ride.

Has anyone ever used some kind of power booster/amp to bump up the signal strength of their XM receiver?

Why do I never loose my favourite XM station in my truck, but often do on my bike (in the same areas)?  :nixweiss:

There must be a reason for it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The sat radio antenna on your truck isn't stuck in the dash next to the radio.  The sat radio antenna for your bike is.  I'd suggest moving your antenna out in the open, like all the car and truck folks do.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.