Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headset- not hearing self  (Read 2925 times)

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Headset- not hearing self
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »

I have a 2015 CVO Road Glide. The headsets have been working well until I did the bike's 1000 mile service where they also upgraded the Infotainment software. Since that was done, although the voice transmits (to passenger or over a phone call), I am no longer hearing myself when I talk. Anybody else with this issue?

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Headset- not hearing self
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »

check your VOX levels.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »

yep... not associated with that. I have tried all the way from Push to talk all the way to the highest sensitivity... I can hear my passenger and my passenger can hear me- either with voice activation OR PTT, but neither of us can hear ourselves.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »

That is called "side tone" and it is common in full duplex circuits.  Perhaps the new systems are half-duplex.

I guess if you can talk to each other, it does not interfere with the purpose of the ICOM.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »

Yes we can hear each other, but the sidetone is pretty importat stuff too. Its like talking while deaf without it. Its odd that I had the sidetone before the update and now its gone...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »

Read this and thought, "I don't hear myself through the headset via CB or the phone."  So, I just went out to the bike and tested both the CB and the phone with the headset on and then the speakers on.  I did not hear myself either way.  I tried adjusting the various levels.  If the bike has this feature, I am missing it too. Here is my recommendation, however. Turn the ignition on and pull the main fuse.  Turn the bike off and let it sit for half a minute.  Then reinsert the fuse. This essentially re-boots the bikes computers.  I updated the software to 1.19.1 some time ago when it was released. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »

Let us know if you try this and it works. When the sidetone worked it was very nice. It confirmed for you that you were speaking at the right volume and you could tell how clear your reception was since you could hear Yourself. I checked last night again. I can actually pick up a very faint sidetone, but barely noticeable. Surely there must be some way to adjust the sidetone volume.

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »

I have no side tone as well....however, If I leave the intercom on...I do get some side tone
2018 CVO StreetGlide

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »

I spoke to Harley Customer care today about the issue. There is some acknowledgement on their part that this is a feature that is desired by many, but for whatever reason they intended on discontinuing, but yet they are still having discussions about it. They were surprised to learn that my back actually had sidetone when I took it from the dealer. They were also supported that a bike in Bend, Or at wild horse Harley - a 2015 CVO Road Glide has it both before and after the 1.19.1 update.
Anyhow, I urge anyone who is interested on getting this feature put back with some reliability in the next software update to make some noise about it. The best way to do that is to call Harley customer care... They are the voice of the customer.
The number to call is 414-343-4056. The person I talked to is John... Nice guy who knows some of the background on this issue and understands the frustration with it. The more they hear from those who want the feature in the new bikes, the more they will be urged to do something about it..

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »

I went out and checked mine and other than hearing yourself talk normally, I can not hear myself thru the headsets. But I am not sure I would find this important anyway. I didn't ever think about it until I read this so I was not aware I was missing anything.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

Yes mine is the same way. I have gotten used to it and doesn't bother me now. You'll get used too it
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Rdoiron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »

It is absolutely important and I'll never get used to it. If your going fast enough down the highway you absolutely cannot hear yourself and that isn't right. I can ijust magine what it's like for deaf people to talk without that instant feedaback.

If you've never had it then perhaps you don't realize what your missing.

The amount of money we fork out for these CVO's, a sidetone feature on the headsets should be an absolute bare essential requirement. It's really not a difficult thing to build in and we shouldn't settle for anything less. Harley can do this easily.. As they have on previous models, and on current 2015's (albeit sporadically- thus the problem). We just need to help them with how important it is for us. Not an exact comparable scenario, but If sidetone is important for an airplane pilot why would it not be equally important for motorcycle riders?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »

Once again, I totally disagree, I just can not see this being important at all.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

It's not a deal breaker to me, but it does seem odd.

What we have noticed is that the noise cancellation is much better on the 15 than it was with our '11.
We used to have to cup a hand over the mic before, not so now.  I had turned off the VOX, may go back and revisit it now.
2015 CVO Road Glide

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 10:39:42 PM »

VOX setting on mine is one line to left of center. Seems to work good for us. I can not remember when we last used the dash speakers, turned them on yesterday and the right front speaker is not working. This will be first warranty after having bike a year.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.