Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for input on engine upgrades on watercooled cvo 110  (Read 3411 times)

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
Looking for input on engine upgrades on watercooled cvo 110
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:57:05 AM »

originally i wanted to do a 120r engine, but they don't have them yet for the water cooled bikes, so i'm looking at trying to squeeze more out of it

so far I have done tman cams, boarzilla 2 into 1, throttle body, injectors, and a dyno tune, making around 105/105 right now

bike runs great, but i'm a hp junkie and want more.

I know cars pretty well, but don't know much about bikes and whats needed.

I talked to fuel moto about their 113 kit,  they would swap the cams and do their work.  they told me should get me about 130 or so wheel with the 113 / head package.   

said crank isn't "needed" at 130 wheel, but much over,  it's not a bad idea.

I also talked to tman and they do a similar package, and also said anything over 113 needs the crank done.

both also suggested a clutch.

I really would like to get over that 130 mark and wanted to get input from guys that know a little more.

local shop suggested an s&s 124,  but I don't know much about those either.

any guidance, suggestions, would be appreciated

2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Looking for input on engine upgrades on watercooled cvo 110
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:04 AM »

quote "local shop suggested an s&s 124,  but I don't know much about those either."

That's an air-cooled engine, so it is in the same category as the 120 (r or st), which you threw out already. 
Are you looking just for HP, or do you also need low end torque to make a bagger rideable?

BTW:  Your profile doesn't show that you have a wet-head bike.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »

originally i wanted to do a 120r engine, but they don't have them yet for the water cooled bikes, so i'm looking at trying to squeeze more out of it

so far I have done tman cams, boarzilla 2 into 1, throttle body, injectors, and a dyno tune, making around 105/105 right now

bike runs great, but i'm a hp junkie and want more.

Torque seems rather low with your build.  My twin cooled(water) 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra, with a Fullsac head pipe, baffles and TTS tuner is 113 Torque and 95 HP.  Not sure why your torque is so low.

My mild build 13 CVO, pistons, head work, Throttle body, injectors and HD cam is 124HP 123 torque.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

bike has a  boarzilla on it which really is for 113 or bigger, but with plans on bigger i went with the larger exhaust out of the gate. 

same setup on my 13cvo 110 with a different exhaust was 110/113

once we add the cubes, the boarzilla will shine,  just trying to find out who's best with the water cooled engines
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »

With the exception of the heads, it's the same engine as the regular CVO110's so you don't need to worry about finding new solutions just because it's a Twin Cooled bike.  Compression is the same, and the heads are really the same except for the added parts to water cool the exhaust port area.  So look at what others have done in terms of compression, cams, head and intake mods, etc. to get the numbers you're looking for.  If it works for the regular version, it should work the same for the Twin Cooled version.  Assuming a more consistent head temp on the TC engine, you might be able to gain a bit in the tune since detonation should be less of a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

bike has a  boarzilla on it which really is for 113 or bigger, but with plans on bigger i went with the larger exhaust out of the gate. 

same setup on my 13cvo 110 with a different exhaust was 110/113

once we add the cubes, the boarzilla will shine,  just trying to find out who's best with the water cooled engines
If you have a longer inseam probably no issue. But if you are on the short side such as myself The rear cylinder pipe sticks out enough that if you don't watch it can burn the back of your right leg. Trust me I have the scars to prove it. If I was making that choice now I would go with the new Drago 2-1 as the rear cylinder pipe tucks in nicely enough my issue may not be one.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »

If you have a longer inseam probably no issue. But if you are on the short side such as myself The rear cylinder pipe sticks out enough that if you don't watch it can burn the back of your right leg. Trust me I have the scars to prove it. If I was making that choice now I would go with the new Drago 2-1 as the rear cylinder pipe tucks in nicely enough my issue may not be one.

Hey Rooster, except for the softail version, they changed that, the rear pipe no longer sticks out like it used to. I have one of those scars too.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »

You may wish to consider contacting Steve at GMR.  Steve has done work for some members building some impressive 113's & is quite familiar with the S&S 124 crate motors.  If he is to far he can recommend a good shop that is closer.  Their are other sources on this forum that have great reputations for worked performed for members on this site.  Make sure you completely understand what your builder is going to do, get it in writing and you should be all set.   I had a S&S 124" crate motor installed in the spring of 2013 to replace a 110.  I had some issues that resulted from me not following my own advice on having things written down,  That was my fault and I had to pay a lot to have it were I wanted.  There are a number of good shops that frequent this site that have excellent reputations to get you where you want to go.  Welding the flywheel may or may not be required but riding style can have just as much impact as a high performance motor.  If you have to open the cases it would be wise to have the crank serviced while it is apart. 

Good Luck   

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.