Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NIM problem ????  (Read 975 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
NIM problem ????
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »

So my Road Tech Zumo 660 started acting up a few weeks ago.  It is intermittent which of course makes it frustrating and difficult to diagnose.  From time to time and for no apparent reason I cannot hear the voice turn prompts.  At first I thought the signal was not getting through at all but then I realized that it was trying to announce as the radio muted but I could not hear the prompts - they were coming through but very, very faint like the volume was turned way, way down which of course it was not.  Then after a while it will start working normally.

So just wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and what the solution is.  I suspect the NIM but of course it will probably work just fine for the dealer when I take it in, lol.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: NIM problem ????
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »

I was having the same problem on my 13 CVO Ultra Classic (the gps is mounted on the dash....built in mount).  I cleaned the contacts on the back of the gps and on the mount built in to the dash with Q Tips and alcohol.  Works fine now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hope this helps Jerry.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:16:26 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »

I was having the same problem on my 13 CVO Ultra Classic (the gps is mounted on the dash....built in mount).  I cleaned the contacts on the back of the gps and on the mount built in to the dash with Q Tips and alcohol.  Works fine now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hope this helps Jerry.

Thanks J. C.  Yeah, I've had that problem before also and cleaning did help.  But when the contacts were dirty I was getting nothing - no through put at all.  First thing I did was clean the contacts but no joy.  As I said, the prompt is actually coming through but very, very faint.

Dealer did have the outer fairing off to replace a bad iPod cable a couple months ago.  Wonder if the tech could have disturbed the connection for the NIM?  May be worth a look to pull the outer fairing and check the connection.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:16:52 AM »

I really don't know if this will help any... but I'll try to explain what mine has done since day one.

Sorry for the length, but I don't know of any other way to explain it.  I've learned to live with it.

Here goes...

I do not use the GPS for navigation, merely a map on the dash.  So, I have the navigation prompts turned off.

I do however, listen to the mp3s I have stored in it through a link to the aux port on the radio.

What I've had happen... is, while listening to the mp3s at a moderate level while stopped and the automatic volume control at speed is pretty much the same, every now and then a second Volume would kick in.  Usually, much louder than the original setting... and usually while I'm stopped.  I've noticed that when I turn it back down to the comfortable level the opposite happens once I'm back up to speed.

The speed volume is comfortable, but then something happens and the second volume control kicks in, and now it's too quite.

I'm sure it's the NIM getting mixed signals somehow, but there doesn't seem to be a happy medium between the two volume settings.  And, while controlling the volume adjustments at the handlebar switch, the volume controls indicator is noticeably different than that of just the radio.  I just have to be prepared to either turn it down quickly in the parking lot/gas station or turn it back up, once on the road again.

Your description of the Prompts not being very loud makes me think the second volume control is kicking in on you, but you won't know it unless you catch it during an actual prompt, and then attempt to turn it up at the handlebar control.

If you were able to set a navigation route with multiple turns, thus pushing multiple prompts... you might be able to catch one and adjust the volume during one of the prompts to see if it gets any louder.

Still, all in all... it's most likely a bad NIM.

Again, sorry for the long reply.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.