Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Place to Buy S&S SPO Mufflers?  (Read 2223 times)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
Best Place to Buy S&S SPO Mufflers?
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:55:07 PM »

Well I think my decision to buy quieter performance mufflers has been made.  Last weekend a couple of us were stopped by San Pedro's Finest who warned us about our loud exhaust... I have Rinehart TDs and my buddy has SE exhaust - hardly loud exhaust in the grand scheme of things.  I'm glad I wasn't riding my Softail with its Thunderheader...   Anyway, has anybody a favorite on-line place to buy the SPO's?  Of course I am looking for best price and delivery, but good people to work with is important too.  I am not interested in used or E-bay at this time...  Thank you in advance. 
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Best Place to Buy S&S SPO Mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »

Hi hwyfever,
I hope you will love your SPO's when you get them. I do love mine,not too loud but a different sound and look for most people.
As far as buying them I got mine from my local Harley dealer who will order from big books like Custom Chrome etc. We checked several books and found it $100 cheaper in one book so they ordered it from them. Sorry I can't remember which distributer. Then the Harley dealer gave me the HOG discount on top of the standard price so it was not bad. I had the dealer install it at the time along with an Arlen Ness  big sucker kit in chrome which they also discounted for me.
Good luck,
Dave

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:20:44 PM »

Well I think my decision to buy quieter performance mufflers has been made.  Last weekend a couple of us were stopped by San Pedro's Finest who warned us about our loud exhaust... I have Rinehart TDs and my buddy has SE exhaust - hardly loud exhaust in the grand scheme of things.  I'm glad I wasn't riding my Softail with its Thunderheader...   Anyway, has anybody a favorite on-line place to buy the SPO's?  Of course I am looking for best price and delivery, but good people to work with is important too.  I am not interested in used or E-bay at this time...  Thank you in advance. 
Was that based on their opinion or did they have sound metering devices?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »

Howdy Dave...  Sure glad to hear you like like your SPOs... Have you had a chance to compare your SPO's sound or performance to the stock muffler's or of any aftermarket mufflers???

Firedood, it was this officer's opinion...  He told us that the citizens of the city were fed up with any loud exhaust and their voice had been heard by their chief of police...  I am not a member of that city, but I can't imagine that the people that were fed up with were us middle-aged guys on their RK or EGs.  This was probably another case of the few spoiling it for the many.  The police officer was nice enough and simply gave us a warning and suggested we not travel through their beautiful little city with our loud exhaust...  How nice... I guess that makes getting to that little cafe for lunch a bit tougher...  Go figure...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:37:03 PM by hwyfever »

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:19:24 PM »

Are you going to be able to fit the SPO's with the RH TD's?  Different header pipe sizes, I think.  Have you considered the 2" baffles for the RH's?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fugitive

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:16:52 AM »

I too am looking at purchasing some SPO's. Does anyone know where I can find a sound file of them. I would like to hear what they sound like before doling out the money.

thanx,

fugitive
A bad day of ridin' is better than a good day at work!
1992 FLSTC
Soon to be ordered - 2007 FLHTCSE

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »

I too am looking at purchasing some SPO's. Does anyone know where I can find a sound file of them. I would like to hear what they sound like before doling out the money.

thanx,

fugitive

Go to www.sscycle.com  click on "photo/video" at the top, click on "your ride photos"
and then you can click on the sound clip for the spo's.  That's the only one i have ever found.  Mark at M&M Cycles sells them for $435.00 plus shipping.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »

Hi hwyfever,
I still agree with my first impressions in this thread -
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10425.0

See reply #11.

The sound clip on the S&S website is fairly accurate but I guess it depends on your computer speaker quality and sound level.
I love the deep sound of the SPOs, it has authority when needed but quiet at cruising when you want to hear the radio or times when you don't want to draw attention. It is definitely louder than stock but I feel lower sound than V&H or Rhineharts in general. To me SPOs have a low rumble vs. higher pitched bark.

Sound violation laws are hard to enforce unless there is an absolute law such as "any aftermarket exhaust prohibited,only stock factory pipes allowed."  most sound laws have a decibel rating for certain times of the day at a set distance and unless the officer can produce a sound meter that has been calibrated and is used at the legally prescribed distance from the sound maker it is hard to get a conviction if the violator has a lawyer. Yet other laws such as disorderly conduct can be used at times and if the officer can produce a video with sound to show what the violator was doing the judge may decide the violator broke the law. Many officers now have video on their patrol units and are wearing mikes to record the vehicle stop.
Attached is a photo to show the clearance of the SPOs since one or two folks have said they have scraped them on turns in inclines, I have not found that to be true for me but I am not an agressive rider.
I hope to get more miles on mine soon but can't ride for about 5 or so more weeks due to surgery.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:38:58 AM by VaEagle »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »

Hi hwyfever,
I still agree with my first impressions in this thread -
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10425.0

See reply #11.

The sound clip on the S&S website is fairly accurate but I guess it depends on your computer speaker quality and sound level.
I love the deep sound of the SPOs, it has authority when needed but quiet at cruising when you want to hear the radio or times when you don't want to draw attention. It is definitely louder than stock but I feel lower sound than V&H or Rhineharts in general. To me SPOs have a low rumble vs. higher pitched bark.

Sound violation laws are hard to enforce unless there is an absolute law such as "any aftermarket exhaust prohibited,only stock factory pipes allowed."  most sound laws have a decibel rating for certain times of the day at a set distance and unless the officer can produce a sound meter that has been calibrated and is used at the legally prescribed distance from the sound maker it is hard to get a conviction if the violator has a lawyer. Yet other laws such as disorderly conduct can be used at times and if the officer can produce a video with sound to show what the violator was doing the judge may decide the violator broke the law. Many officers now have video on their patrol units and are wearing mikes to record the vehicle stop.
Attached is a photo to show the clearance of the SPOs since one or two folks have said they have scraped them on turns in inclines, I have not found that to be true for me but I am not an agressive rider.
I hope to get more miles on mine soon but can't ride for about 5 or so more weeks due to surgery.

My friend can probably get the SPO's for you for about $400. Call North Shore Motorcycles in New Hyde Park, NY, at 516-352-5555. Ask fo Buddy. Tell him Hoist sent you and your from the CVO website. He said he'd discount parts for CVO members. Maybe we can set him up as a vendor, since he's willing to do mail order discounts for our group. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

They would probably be OK but everytime I look at the back of them to me they just look like they forgot to finish them off.  They need to have tips for them to dress them up a bit. JMHO
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »

They would probably be OK but everytime I look at the back of them to me they just look like they forgot to finish them off.  They need to have tips for them to dress them up a bit. JMHO

They look good painted black. Get some BBQ/Stove Paint and paint the ends of the baffles, within the miffler seam. I'm planning on doing that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:00:21 PM »

TCnBham, I figure I will reinstall my stock head pipes as has been supported here by a few members.  Then I will either place the Reinharts on e-bay, or add them to my ever-growing supply of road tested exhaust system inventory...

Checked the S&S site, thanks Boatman.  Now I find out that S&S sells an even quieter baffle for the SPOs...  Does this ever end?  Does anyone know how much power they give up to produce an even quieter exhaust note?  There is a tear in my eye as I ask this... :'(

I have placed my order M & M Cycle.  Mark was very helpful and nice too..  The SPOs are due here next Thursday, in time to install before Laughlin. 

Thanks Hoist for your dealer, but I placed my order went in before I got your response.  I could have saved about $30...   :'(  :'(

VaEagle, thank you for your observations and advise.  I will post my observations here once I get them installed.

And Finally...  Good luck Fugitive, and to all of us on this endless quest for the perfect exhaust system. :confused5:   

patrickt

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 10:24:34 PM »

Hey hwyfever...  Do I understand correctly that you are going to the Laughlin River Run?  If so, I would love to have a chance to listen to the SPOs if you get them installed.  We are leaving for Laughlin next Saturday, 4/21, and arrive there sometime the Tuesday before the event starts.  Will be there Wednesday and some of Thursday before leaving for Vegas (before it gets too crazy, that's what we always do).  If you will be there let me know and would not mind letting me take a listen I will email you my cell number. 

Thanks,
Patrick

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 22 queries.