Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance & Hines XPipe compared to stock  (Read 10148 times)

shwnoff1

Vance & Hines XPipe compared to stock
« on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:12 AM »

Will i gain anything by switching to xpipe over sticking with de-cated pipe?  I have SE tuner and Vance& Hines High Output slipon's. on 12 CVO Streetglide

tervonenllc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: Vance & Hines XPipe compared to stock
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:33:38 AM »

Gains could be put into 3 categories: technical, visual/sound aesthetics and purely psychological.  8) One should keep in mind that all gains are very much relative and in any event most likely marginal.

You might have people around arguing that the "x-pipe" (that is in V&H language Power Duals) "really wakes up your engine" and "you can really feel the difference" and "now its much more responsive" and so on. As people tend to defend  :huepfenjump3: their recent purchases also placebo-effect kicks in. For these reasons, before taking these kinds of "sales pitches" for granted I would ask for dyno results and/or a test ride.

However, something and in many cases the most important thing to consider is noise as the frontpipe could make a worlds difference. I have a friend who has stock (cat) front pipe and V&H HO mufflers (CVO SG 15) and the sound is "low rumble" and definitely not particularly loud. Based on this I ordered (CVO SG 15) V&H x-pipe (Power Duals) and V&H Monster Rounds and not HO's. What I wanted was "not too loud" and no interference with the stereo on the road. Coming from CVO RK 14 with cat + stock mufflers I was shocked of the difference. To tell the truth, my first impression was: these are too loud. The dealer friend was also a bit surprised. Stock front pipe with cats + HO mufflers is clearly quieter than Power Duals+Monster Rounds combo. After two months I've actually started to like them and I don't think they're too loud.

One other thing to consider, if seeking for a bike with the right combo to listen to: there are also reports that V&H Power Duals + HO and/or Monster Rounds combo sound varies greatly between 103 and 110 engines. Some who are coming from 103 engine and have been happy with the exhaust setup are unhappy when they have exactly the same combo on 110.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »

Have you seen the cat in the stock mid pipe!?  I can't believe air can get through it! 

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »

I have a 2011 CVO Streetglide. I started with V&H Hi Output slip-ons. Bike was still hot, added the Power duals and a SE Race Tuner and had it Dyno-ed.  Much more comfortable, heat gun readings were 40 degrees cooler.  However, the Dyno results were nothing worth bragging about.  Some will suggest a different model tuner and/or tuner tech would produce better results, and I have seen some posts which suggest more power and torque can be pulled out of this somewhat minor modification.  I really wasn't looking for more power, I wanted more comfort (cooler) and a more throaty sound.  This combination achieved this goal.

I would agree with "tervo" that gains would be subjective and at best "marginal".  Moreover, since you already have de-catted headers, the gains would be (IMO) unnoticeable.

OWL 
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

2BAGGR

• Full CVO Member
  • Work sucks... Let's ride
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

Is this Actual dyno or seat of pants dyno results?

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 05:26:35 AM »

SERT's do not have a self tuning feature. It was used with a Dyno Run. 
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »

I don't think they're too loud.
Only 2 months to start losing some hearing?   :o
If you want peace, prepare for war.

2BAGGR

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »

Did you loose Torque when you switched to Vance and Hines Power Duals?

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

The V&H X pipe is a good pipe, testing has shown with good mufflers(Kury Crusher come to mind) that it can support 130+ horsepower. With a stock build no pipe is going to work miracles, but any pipe minus the cat along with a tune will provide noticeable difference in felt heat and throttle response. The choice then comes down to looks and sound.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

aaahhhhh 2Baggr if you are asking me, then No I didn't notice any significant changes. But I am NOT a performance expert.  As I have stated I wanted it cooler and a better sound.  The Dynorun dialed in the changes to the extent I was looking for.  I have attached the results. A change to S&S Premium lifters was included.

OWL

2BAGGR

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »

aaahhhhh 2Baggr if you are asking me, then No I didn't notice any significant changes. But I am NOT a performance expert.  As I have stated I wanted it cooler and a better sound.  The Dynorun dialed in the changes to the extent I was looking for.  I have attached the results. A change to S&S Premium lifters was included.

OWL

1st dyno run with stock head pipe with Vance and Hines Hi output slip ons..  2nd run with Vance and Hines Power Duals with Hi outputs slip ons,  Se race tuner?     

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:01 PM »

For anyone with a bike newer than a 2009, I understand there may be issues with de-catting the stock headpipe because of the change in O2 sensor position in 2010 (the whole cross-talk thing).

However, for those with a catless 2009 head pipe (any 2009 touring except CVO's), I'm not convinced after being on my second Fullsac X pipe, that there is any difference in an aftermarket head pipe vs the 2009. In fact, it may be that the 2009 OEM works better.

I just installed a Fullsac DX, and will likely be going back to my ceramic coated catless 2009. The ceramic coating I had done on mine is of better quality, and all in all, I don't think the $530 was wisely spent on the Fullsac (for my application).
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »

1st dyno run with stock head pipe with Vance and Hines Hi output slip ons..  2nd run with Vance and Hines Power Duals with Hi outputs slip ons,  Se race tuner?     
Roger that 2Baggr, DYNO with SERT

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.