Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excessive play in drive train  (Read 3701 times)

boatmanusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

Excessive play in drive train
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »

Ok guys new to the site and after looking for a couple hours in past forums I haven't found the answer to my problem.   I own a 2012 CVO ultra with 7200 miles.  The Problem....at all most all speeds ( rpm not exceeding 3000 ) up to lets say 60 and in all gears if I m holding my throttle steady or firm at one speed when I hit a bump I hear a clunk clunk like there is excessive play somewhere between my belt and my drive chain.  I m not new to the Harley world and after 8 or more bike over the last 15 years this is the first time I have experienced this problem.  Could it be the chain tensioner  or compensator?? I just changed all three holes thinking this might help.  I'm reaching.  LOL  When on a stand with the rear wheel up and in gear there seems to be more play then normal when I move the rear tire back and forth... Thanks in advance for any comments.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Excessive play in drive train
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »

Ok guys new to the site and after looking for a couple hours in past forums I haven't found the answer to my problem.   I own a 2012 CVO ultra with 7200 miles.  The Problem....at all most all speeds ( rpm not exceeding 3000 ) up to lets say 60 and in all gears if I m holding my throttle steady or firm at one speed when I hit a bump I hear a clunk clunk like there is excessive play somewhere between my belt and my drive chain.  I m not new to the Harley world and after 8 or more bike over the last 15 years this is the first time I have experienced this problem.  Could it be the chain tensioner  or compensator?? I just changed all three holes thinking this might help.  I'm reaching.  LOL  When on a stand with the rear wheel up and in gear there seems to be more play then normal when I move the rear tire back and forth... Thanks in advance for any comments.

It certainly could be the compensator.  It also could be wear in the rubber segments of the Isolated Drive System (IDS).   Or both...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

boatmanusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply . With only 7200 miles would the ISD rubber s wear out?  Looks like a pretty easily job to replace them after looking into it a little. Can you just buy the rubber parts or is the $350 dollar full kit with rear sprocket needed?  I m ready to pull the clutch cover off and see if the chain tensioner is flat not working and allowing all the slack. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply . With only 7200 miles would the ISD rubber s wear out?  Looks like a pretty easily job to replace them after looking into it a little. Can you just buy the rubber parts or is the $350 dollar full kit with rear sprocket needed?  I m ready to pull the clutch cover off and see if the chain tensioner is flat not working and allowing all the slack.

You can buy a kit that includes the rubber parts.  If you have excessive rear wheel play and the drive belt is adjusted properly, there are only a couple of options for the source of the play.  A bit of inspection should clarify the source for you...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »

Boatmanusa,

My 2011 Streetglide has the same issue. On my 3rd compensator thinking that it was bad but I believe wholeheartedly that the problem is the design of the part itself. My latest "compensator fix" from Harley was to replace the compensator AND add shims to increase pressure on the slipping action of the part.

First 100 miles.....Great! After that......same Piece Of Sh#t!

Basically, the compensator has an extreme amount of "play" designed in to protect torque shock from damaging the crank because Harley is using a substandard crank and bearing sets.

I've looked around and talked to many folks on this issue. While there are multiple designs and patches on the compensator not one outside manufacturer has developed a compensator to overcome "shocking" the crank without play in the drivetrain.

I call BS on Harley and the design skills of the supposedly great outside engineering groups.

This issue alone makes me want to get rid of my CVO every time I ride it.

Forget about the multiple chain "great" tensioners on the market or the special oiler gadgets. Sure, keeping oil on the compensator keeps it premature wear but none of them address the amount of "play" in the compensator.

If two sprockets are wrapped with a banjo tight chain the compensator "play" is still the problem.

Some play is important to prevent shock damage but... Imagine this, if Harley's compensator, on a scale of 1-10, has a 10 of play would half that play reduce slop in the drivetrain and still prevent shock damage?

I've been considering going to a belt drive for a long time but "the great opinionators" tell me I would not like them and say they are bad but nobody can ever back up there argument.

Here's my final thought on the issue. Either learn to get over it or get away from riding a newer Harley Davidson because it ain't gonna get better. :soapbox:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

boatmanusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »

Thanks willyb for the info, I knew there had to be some riders out there with the same problem.  I just sold my 2011 ultra classic that I bought with 800 miles on it and when sold over 18500.  Never had the issue on that bike.  I had a full stage 2 Fulsac set up on it with Andrew 54s, X pipes, programmer etc. Damn that 103 rain good.  Anyway did you put in the 2 compensators.  If you didn't install it what did the HD boys charge for the compensator and labor? I think Ill fix it and sell it.  I live in Idaho and there s a bump ( frost heave ) every 100 feet on almost every 2 lane road in the mountains heading every direction and the clunk clunk slap slap is sure getting to a point that every time it does it I say "what a piece of chit".  We don't ride freeways unless we have to.  Thanks again for the reply I think I found the problem.    Jim

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »

The local HD dealer fixed it under warranty each time.

The first time they pulled it apart and quite frankly the compensator look unworn. But when they put it back together and took it for a test drive the clunk, clunk was apparent and they replaced the compensator, chain tensioner and chain. Like I said, it was great for the first 100 miles.

The second time they replaced the compensator with the new oiler piece and added "per HD" a set of shims to tighten up the components without even questioning. They said they see this problem all the time. Good for about 200 miles.

I have since learned to tighten up my right wrist to prevent the bump slack but it's now uncomfortable on longer rides.

It is just a POS design and with POS components. So much so that even outside builders won't develop a unit that actually works.

My next motorcycle WILL NOT be a Harley Davidson because of this.

By the way, my brothers 2012 103 Streetglide with power out the wazoo  (cams, pistons, heads and throttle body) doesn't have this problem.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

The Problem....at all most all speeds ( rpm not exceeding 3000 ) up to lets say 60 and in all gears if I m holding my throttle steady or firm at one speed when I hit a bump I hear a clunk clunk like there is excessive play somewhere between my belt and my drive chain. 

Can you feel a hesitation or anything?   Is it the kickstand bouncing?  Not saying I haven't had my comp problems, but shimming the spring pack has helped with that.

boatmanusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »

No sir the kickstand is not the problem. but thanks JIm

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »

Boatman, I agree with some of the others that it's your compensator.  I've had to replace them about every 5000 miles on my '12 Street Glide, and on my '13 Ultra.  I don't know if it's poor design or cheap parts, but they are terrible. 

Don't waste your money on a new POS Harley compensator.  I know that many people are afraid to try it, but i put a BDL CS-34a with a Hayden M6 tensioner in mine 15,000 miles ago, and it is like having a new bike.  I love it!

I'm going to post a review on it soon on a different thread.

Dan

Edit:  New thread -   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=104948.0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:01:28 AM by lilcoot »

boatmanusa

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »

lilcoot,  thanks for the feedback.   I've read some real positive and some very negative comments on the BDL compensator. I know there are a lot of guys out there that should not be aloud to pick up a wrench or post a review after they do but it makes a man wonder what is BS or not.  I think Ill call their tech department and visit with them to make sure it I get the exact kit for my bike and find out why so many unhappy customers.   thanks again   Jim

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

Jim, good luck with that.  In many calls to BDL, I only got through once.  I've seen on other HD sites the same complaint.  They don't answer their phones.  That's the consistent complaint I've seen about BDL.  I just happen to live close enough to go directly to the source. I was able to walk in and pay cash for a nice discount.   :orange:
Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Dan

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.