Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Added satellite radio to my 2013 Road King  (Read 1136 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Added satellite radio to my 2013 Road King
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »

Not a real exciting or complicated project. I'm not very handy by nature, so I'm still proud of it :)
I need to clean up the wiring and do a little finishing work. I drilled some holes in the saddle bags for wiring, filed them so they are round and clean, and have grommets to put in so rain/dirt won't get in. When it's all said and done, it should hopefully look like the bike came with it installed. Everything for the most part is concealed pretty nicely except for the antennae which obviously has to be exposed. However I can still hide it under the seat or put it in the saddle bag if I'm parked for a while. Fun, easy project. It's nice to put it on whatever channel I'm feeling like and take off!

Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Added satellite radio to my 2013 Road King
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »

That's really creative. I'll bet you get a heck of a lot better and consistent reception than the OEM Harley module!

Enjoy!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »

The weak point on that is the cradle the radio plugs into. Not made to take the vibrations. I went threw 3 cradles and two radios before finally biting the bullet and getting a Roadtech. Kept giving me "check Antenna" messages after awhile. I tried everything to keep it secure in the mount from rubber bands to duct tape and ty-wraps.  I do miss not being able to swap the radio from the bike to the truck. The Roadtech also gets much better reception too. That all said, if it wasn't for the fact that my wife gave me the subscription (and renews it every year) I wouldn't have it. We do alot of back road twisty riding while touring, and if I pass a line of trees or sometimes just a rise in the landscape, Puff! no reception. On the open highway its usually fine. But for music your paying for to hear???sux. Get an MP3 player or load your phone with all the tunes you like never worry about it again. But its a fun project to mess with. Hope yours works ok for you.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-xm-satellite-radio

All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »

The weak point on that is the cradle the radio plugs into. Not made to take the vibrations. I went threw 3 cradles and two radios before finally biting the bullet and getting a Roadtech. Kept giving me "check Antenna" messages after awhile. I tried everything to keep it secure in the mount from rubber bands to duct tape and ty-wraps.  I do miss not being able to swap the radio from the bike to the truck. The Roadtech also gets much better reception too. That all said, if it wasn't for the fact that my wife gave me the subscription (and renews it every year) I wouldn't have it. We do alot of back road twisty riding while touring, and if I pass a line of trees or sometimes just a rise in the landscape, Puff! no reception. On the open highway its usually fine. But for music your paying for to hear???sux. Get an MP3 player or load your phone with all the tunes you like never worry about it again. But its a fun project to mess with. Hope yours works ok for you.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-xm-satellite-radio

It's been good so far and I've had minimal trouble with reception. I do a lot of riding in some dense areas with trees, but just the occasional cut-out.

I did foresee an issue with that rig just sticking to the saddle bag and will come up with a more long term solution this spring. The head unit is small enough to fit in the little pouch that the ipod goes in, so I may just do that. My plan all along was to set it on whatever station I felt like, and take off. Can change in between saddling up if needed. So far I enjoy it but appreciate the input!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »

Very nice job.
I went a different direction.  Plugged a blue tooth adapter in the Ipod plug and used my Iphone tuned into Pandora.  I can keep the phone in my pocket or mount it on the handlebars.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.