Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moisture behind touchscreen?  (Read 1498 times)

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
Moisture behind touchscreen?
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »

Just pulled the scooter out of winter hibernation.  Put the bike away last fall, covered, trickle charger, sheet of insulation under the tires and normal winter prep.  The shed was chilly but the day reached 60 degrees when we pulled it out.  Did not notice at first, but after riding for a half hour.  The sun coming over my should and noticed moisture on my Boom touchscreen.  Tried to touch and see if it moved or went away and it did not.  Was headed to the dealer an hour away.  Talked to the dealer and they said they have heard similar issues.  They said to keep an eye on it and let them know if it doesn't go away.  When I was a the dealer I parked the bike so the sun would hit the screen.  About 20 minutes later when I came out the sun must have warmed up the screen and the moisture was gone.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and thoughts of possibilities of future problems?
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Moisture behind touchscreen?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »

I have not had this issue with mine but I don't know if I have big swings in temp. I ride her all year as well.  I have had this happen in our boat gauges. The worst one was replaced year one and the other one occasionally has this issue (I guess it is sealed better). Anyway, it has been six years and I have not had any other problems with that gauge. I just don't like it.     

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »

Are you saying moisture was inside the screen or could you be referring to moisture trapped between the screen and the removal protection sheet?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:19:50 PM by Cat Eye »

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »

Just pulled the scooter out of winter hibernation.  Put the bike away last fall, covered, trickle charger, sheet of insulation under the tires and normal winter prep.  The shed was chilly but the day reached 60 degrees when we pulled it out.  Did not notice at first, but after riding for a half hour.  The sun coming over my should and noticed moisture on my Boom touchscreen.  Tried to touch and see if it moved or went away and it did not.  Was headed to the dealer an hour away.  Talked to the dealer and they said they have heard similar issues.  They said to keep an eye on it and let them know if it doesn't go away.  When I was a the dealer I parked the bike so the sun would hit the screen.  About 20 minutes later when I came out the sun must have warmed up the screen and the moisture was gone.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and thoughts of possibilities of future problems?
I've noticed the same thing on occasion.  It always goes away after a while.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »

You  mention that outside temps got up to 60F.....what was the inside temp. high and was it there for several hours or not?  Eventually that moisture will have an effect on electronics that you don't even see.

If you can't control the humidity where the bike is parked and can't put the bike in an area where humidity is controlled there is something else that you might try.  Years ago I had an old cab over camper for when I'd go skiing and this product worked pretty well...we also used it in our boat in the winter months.  They sell a product in the RV stores that absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.  You might get this an put it under the bike cover.....maybe on the seat?  Just have to remember to dump it every few days if you have high humidity.

I've also thought this might help where people have a problem with the insides of allen bolt heads and inside screw heads rusting in winter storage.

There are several brands but I believe the most common now days is DampRid and it's available at Walmart or Home Depot.  Here's a couple of links

http://www.damprid.com/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

The garage where I park it in the winter time is not heated or humidity controlled.  Not sure but it was considerably cooler when I opened the door.  Not uncommon for my garage, not storage shed this time of year when it warms up for the concrete to sweat/wet when the air gets warmer.

The moisture I believe was in between the screen and the protective cover.  I have seen the damp-rid and will give that a try.  Was maybe thinking a warming stick like I use in my gun safe to set under the bike when covered?
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.