Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milage Michelin commander 2 ?  (Read 3370 times)

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
Milage Michelin commander 2 ?
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »

I now have a 2015 road glide cvo ultra put about 9000 on rear tire have 15000 on front will not be long need both front and rear tires will need to be replaced.  my 2011 cvo road glide ultra  would get any where from 9000 to about 13000 on rear tires. I have read that the commander 2 get good milage but no numbers, I know everyone numbers are a little different compared to style and two up and keeping air pressures correct but does anyone have numbers for other tires?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Milage Michelin commander 2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »

I had two 130mm Comander 2 and each got about 10k miles. I then I got the American Elete dual compound and it does not live up to its hype either.. I will however go back to the Comander 2 tires

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »

I got a little over 16k out of the first Commander II on my 2012 CUSE7.  Probably could have gotten at least another 1k or more but was heading out for a long road trip and didn't want the hassle of having to install a new tire during that trip.  I've got 14k on the current front tire and it still looks very good.  Think I got over 20k on the last front tire but I can't locate the record.

Added:  I also tend to replace my tires before they get down to 2/32" tread.  I know I could push for more but I just feel it better to err on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:07:28 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »

I was in contact with Michelin about tires for my 2011 Ultra Road glide. They do not make a rear tire (180/55ZR18 for this bike. They do how ever make the front tire. Any advice??

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »

I had a 2011 with 18 and never could find a different tire than Dunlop I am glad harley went back to normals sizes cause the Dunlop cup bad. Good luck.

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

I had a 2011 with 18 and never could find a different tire than Dunlop I am glad harley went back to normals sizes cause the Dunlop cup bad. Good luck.

That is what mine are doing. Is it possible to change the rim cheep?

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »

I never looked into that.

mark

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »

That is what mine are doing. Is it possible to change the rim cheep?

"Is it possible to change the rim cheap?"  I guess that depends on your defininition of "cheap."  Without researching, your model of bike, etc, this is what you're looking at:

If HD makes your rear wheel style in a smaller diameter, you'd need a rear wheel and two tires (front and rear).  The dealership will need to recalibrate the speedo if you want that to be accurate. Add in labor for all this.

If HD doesn't make your rear wheel in a smaller size, and you want the front and rear to match, you'll have to buy matching front and rear wheels, in addition to tires, speedo recalibration, and labor.

A possible solution - I've seen guys run a solid chrome rear wheel and keep the original front.  You really don't notice it due to the bags and exhaust blocking the view of the rear wheel, if it's a bagger.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:15:20 PM by Mark »

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »

What about a stock Street Glide or Ultra rear wheel? 

If it doesn't bother you that they don't match, I think they're usually only a couple hundred bucks if you find someone looking to get rid of them.

Heck you may even find someone that wants to swap plus cash for yours.....?
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

I agree EastTnRhino ..........the 2011 FLTRUSE was equipped with 18" wheels front and rear and Dunlop was the only manufacturer for the set. The 18" rear wheel looked good and provided easier access for cleaning .....but no choices for tire replacement >:(! The 2015 FLTRUSE uses the more commonly available 17" front & 16" rear wheels  ......offering choices for tire replacement. All stock Dunlop rears I've ever had cupped badly (2010 FLHTK, 2011 FLTRUSE & 2015 FLTRUSE) beginning around 7k-8k miles. Currently, I've got 12,909 miles on my 2015 and figure there's no more than 1k-2k miles left at the most. Most of the mileage on all three bikes has been on long distance road trips fully loaded with BSR & luggage. The rear tire cupping seems to happen even when I've made sure to keep the tire pressure at 40-42 psi. I've also been considering going to the Michelin Commander II's or Dunlop American Elite's (which have a different tread pattern) and wonder what mileage others have experienced on their touring bikes?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.