Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alarm will not disable  (Read 1054 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Alarm will not disable
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »

My alarm continued to be active after replacing the battery in the Fob.  The only way to disable it was to load the manual code.  Took it to the dealer who after three hours said they could not reproduce the issue (no charge to me).  Rode home, same thing, when turning the ignition to "on" the security would begin to chirp, then go to full alarm.  I always use a battery tender and did not believe I had a dying battery even though it was OE in 2011. Notified the service writer, and e-mailed a video, he arranged to have the bike picked up (nice guy).  This time they went through a complete diagnostic including a load test on the battery. My tender was indicating "fully charged" but the battery failed the load test.  I had the battery replaced, problem solved. 

I'm posting so that you are aware that the tenders are not always a complete indicator of the health of the battery. Moreover, the problem was dismissed without a complete diagnostic of the components affecting the security system. Perhaps this incident will help others experiencing the same issue.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Alarm will not disable
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »

My alarm continued to be active after replacing the battery in the Fob.  The only way to disable it was to load the manual code.  Took it to the dealer who after three hours said they could not reproduce the issue (no charge to me).  Rode home, same thing, when turning the ignition to "on" the security would begin to chirp, then go to full alarm.  I always use a battery tender and did not believe I had a dying battery even though it was OE in 2011. Notified the service writer, and e-mailed a video, he arranged to have the bike picked up (nice guy).  This time they went through a complete diagnostic including a load test on the battery. My tender was indicating "fully charged" but the battery failed the load test.  I had the battery replaced, problem solved. 

I'm posting so that you are aware that the tenders are not always a complete indicator of the health of the battery. Moreover, the problem was dismissed without a complete diagnostic of the components affecting the security system. Perhaps this incident will help others experiencing the same issue.

OWL
Your experience w/the Battery Tender has been experienced recently by several members... myself included. I would recommend any one having electrical problems that could be related to their battery to do/get a load test done on the battery as their first step in troubleshooting.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »

Very good information .thanks for sharing
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »

owl 893, glad you resolved the issue. the 5 yr old battery should be a given, that is all the life I've been able to get from any battery,car or bike
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.