Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooling options - Fans or oil cooler?  (Read 2448 times)

Touring83

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

Cooling options - Fans or oil cooler?
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:02:27 PM »

I am looking into some options to cool my motor down. I've had a good tune which helped, but also thinking about longevity of the bike, and these nasty humid summers in Indiana. 85 feels like 125. It sucks.

It seems like a lot of people really like the Wards fans, and I've read good reviews about the UltraCool "Reefer" oil cooler. In your opinion, what would work best:

1. Keep stock oil cooler and add the fans
2. Install UltraCool oil cooler

I'm not looking to add a whole bunch of things to drop it 75 degrees. I realize there needs to be some heat. But if one of these options would drop it an average of 15 degrees give or take, that would be great. Would like to buy the most functional of the two (Was worried about the look of the fans.....They are kind of growing on me now).

Thank you!

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Cooling options - Fans or oil cooler?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

I have both any highly recommend using both.  Each is good for a max of about 15* from my testing.   I used to see temp in the 280*-300* on very hot days 100*+. Since adding both I usually stay in the 250* range, the hottest since doing both 263* for oil temps, and yes I have check the accuracy of my oil temp gauge.

I have had a good Dyno tune and have decatted the exhaust, personally I when with a TTS for the tuner.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Touring83

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »

Thank you. I may eventually do both later down the road. Do you feel one of those made more of a difference that the other?

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:38:25 AM »

If the engine will remain stock I will choose Ward fans, later stage if upgrading the engine will consider to add oil cooler 
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »

I've heard nothing but good things about Bud Oil Coolers. Once installed you can't see them but the results are impressive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:41:35 AM by Fireguy »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »

I where's nothing but good things about Bud Oil Coolers. Once installed you can't see them but the results are impressive.
X2 Love my Bud's cooler

BigLew

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »

If the engine will remain stock I will choose Ward fans, later stage if upgrading the engine will consider to add oil cooler

I have installed a Jagg 10 row oil cooler with thermostat controlled fan - and Ward fans also controlled by a thermostat.  All I can say is they help...  I run about 25 degrees cooler oil temperature in like conditions...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:05 PM »

Seems the top two oil coolers are Jaggs 10 row with fan or the Bud unit coupled with the Wards fans or similar.

MLCRISIS

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »

I'm running the ultra cool on a 107, it works well.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:13 AM »

Here is an option that cools very well, but doesn't break the budget. Only $70 delivered, mounts on the stock oil cooler.  You need one inch of clearance behind the cooler to mount them so they don't show, but I mounted mine in front of the cooler.  Super easy to install, takes about 15 minutes, plugs into accessory switch outlet under seat.  Works great; much better than Ward's fans (which I have).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Premium-Oil-Cooler-Fan-Kit-for-all-Electra-Glide-Harleys-/161273660772?hash=item258ca8c564:m:mxBbzc4yAljXyzUf8Iulmtw
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »

Thank you. I may eventually do both later down the road. Do you feel one of those made more of a difference that the other?

For me one was not better than the other.  I did testing of the fans before I added the ultra cool.  My methodology was to use oil temps as a guide into how much cooling advantage of each system.  First I checked to make sure the dipstick temp gauge was accurate, it was within 2-3* of an commercial grade candy thermometer at various temps.  I would not trust a Harley thermometer buy its self.   For five days I would ride the same course of 15 miles with and with out the fans on.  I waited until the ambient temp , and starting oil temp, were the same each day.  I still saw some variations to temp by + or - 5* but I attribute that to differences in asphalt temps which I could not control or measure.  Since you engine is cooled by air which is fairly close to the road surface I think this probably was the cause of the differential as well in differences in humidity.    On average I was able to see about a 15* reduction which was not enough for my own peace of mind.  Hence I added the ultra cool.  The jag 10 row might be better but it sure is butt ugly.  I do not regret either addition and feel much more comfortable about my engine temps.

V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.