Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What size rims and tyres would you switch to for best grip wet and dry (FLHXSE)?  (Read 1342 times)

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide

Tyres (or tires) continue to be one of my biggest gripes with my Street Glide.

Standard tyres aren't great and there's a distinct lack of decent alternatives with most seemingly focussed on mileage rather than grip. I'd happily sacrifice the mileage to get better all weather grip (6k miles for a set of tyres would be fine)

The weight of the bike restricts choice due the necessary load ratings but Harley using unusual rim width/ tyre width combinations doesn't help at all.

So if you were going to swap the rims with a view to getting some decent (stickier) tyres what would you go for?  Anybody done this and found a good setup?

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:44:17 PM by MightyTharg »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

If you define "best performance" as a combination of handling and mileage, I don't think you're going to beat your stock Dunlops.  I just got 15K miles out of a set on my FLTRUSE.  I can recall getting 8K out Metzlers on a regular Road Glide.  Going with wider or larger diameter wheels does not help either handling or performance. 

Just my opinion.  Your handling and mileage will vary and I'm sure some will disagree.    :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide

thanks - edited post to make it clearer - improved grip in wet & dry is what I'm after.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE

X2 what Greg said. Nothing wrong with current tires/wheels in my opinion. I tried the Metzler's once, got 8K out of the rear one, NOTHING was  better than the Dunlop it replaced which gave 15K miles.
I also do not understand your rim width/tire size comments, what??? Wheels width on a motorcycle is limited by swing-arm width/drive pulley sprocket placement which is also limited by engine/trans drive pulley.
What or how would they make wheels tires different and stay within these guidelines.
And what is your complaint with the "not that great" tires to began with.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

thanks - edited post to make it clearer - improved grip in wet & dry is what I'm after.

I've been accused a time or two of being an aggressive rider and I've never had a problem with OEM tires.....not on three four different Ultra Classics, a Heritage, a SEEG or SESG or SEUC.  And I've posted pictures in desert temps, pouring rain, snow....even ice (only because we got caught in it).  Just not had a problem with the OEM.

Got much better traction with Metzlers but only half the mileage.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

I've been accused a time or two of being an aggressive rider[/color]]I've been accused a time or two of being an aggressive rider and I've never had a problem with OEM tires.....not on three four different Ultra Classics, a Heritage, a SEEG or SESG or SEUC.  And I've posted pictures in desert temps, pouring rain, snow....even ice (only because we got caught in it).  Just not had a problem with the OEM.

Got much better traction with Metzlers but only half the mileage.   :nixweiss:
I will attest to that statement JC.. I agree that overall the stock tires are hard to beat though I know many people don't feel that way.
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

JC and Alan are right, and this is the reason.  Unless you plan to have multiple tires and wheels on hand so you can change them out when weather conditions change, the best approach is to seek out a tire that has a balanced design that provides good wet and dry traction while providing good wear resistance.  These days the science of tire building has come a long way from the days when good traction automatically meant giving up tire life due to a soft compound.  Yes, you can go with one of the super soft compound Metzler or Avon tires, and assuming the tread design is good enough to prevent hydroplaning, you may get better wet traction.  But just like rain tires in Formula 1 racing, those tires will wear out very quickly in dry conditions.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.