Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lost clutch  (Read 1633 times)

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE
lost clutch
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

Yesterday I pulled in to gas up finished filling started the bike and put it in gear to pull up to curb for a break without a problem but when I pulled the clutch in to stop Nothing. Had to kill the engine to stop it. Tried working it to pump it up but did not help. I pulled the reservoir cover and it appeared very low. no leaks that I could see anywhere. Bike is a 2010 FLHXSE  with 16000 on the OD I read here that with wear I should see an increase in fluid level not decrease. I have never had the slightest issue until now. I did have the handle bars changed to 14" two seasons ago is there any chance that they didn't top the fluid off properly and am just seeing an issue now? I trailered it home and will bleed and refill this evening just thought I'd throw it to the experts to give me some advice as to something else that may be the cause sincerely BD.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: lost clutch
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »

I would start with looking for a leak on the system before adding any fluid just to see what is wet. Fill the res and bleed the system, the fluid leaked out somewhere. Maybe the slave cylinder.  I know there was some clutch master cylinder recall but don't know if your bike was a part of the program
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »

What you read is correct, assuming no leaks the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir increases as the clutch wears, which is opposite of how the brakes work.

If you see no signs of leakage at the master cylinder, closely inspect the fluid line from the master cylinder all the way to the transmission side cover for any signs of a leak.  Some lines have been known to develop leaks from the rubber inner liner into the braid layer.  You will have to look closely with a good light but if that it what happened it should show up.  If inspection of the M/C and the line shows nothing, then you need to remove the trans side cover and inspect the actuator (slave cylinder).  If a seal has failed, you can get a rebuild kit, P/N  36822-04, MSRP $39.95, from a dealer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »

Thanks guys. I found the leak it was in the lining of the hose. leaking through the braiding but not dripping on the ground dew to the fact that there is a clear coating over the braided. took a bright light and good set of glasses.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »

Glad you found the problem and didn't get hurt. Could have been way worse.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

lost clutch
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »

I think you should open the derby cover and inspect the release bearing. Pull the release bearing and rod out and inspect the end of the rod for wear. I had a release bearing seize up, spin the rod and actually *melted* the slave end of the rod off about a quarter of an inch.  It happened during a ride with zero warning.
The fluid appeared low in mine even though there was no leak. The slave piston was able to travel further than normal, consumed a little more fluid but none leaked.

The trouble I had was with an aftermarket pressure plate, but the same is possible with the stock set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:27:38 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.