Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rear tire choice for street glide  (Read 5133 times)

roadbling

• CVO1: flhrse5
rear tire choice for street glide
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »

Hi guys and girls,
im looking for some advice on tire choice for a buddy of mine with his 2010 SESG currently running stock dunlops and suffering from bad cupping and related noises especially on rear.
would appreciate feedback on tire choices and performance longetivity road noise etc
thanks in advance
Paul

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: rear tire choice for street glide
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »

Last time I checked Paul no other company was offering a 180/55 B 18 tire in the appropriate load rating.  The only tires in that size, other than the stock H-D branded Dunlop, were designed for much lighter sport bikes, not a Harley Touring model.  Word is that Dunlop will finally offer a replacement in the correct size and load rating some time this year in their American Elite series, rather than just the H-D branded version.

There are a ton of threads around here discussing the situation btw.  Your friend is definitely not the only person looking for a better tire.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

I'm in the UK and so a lot of my miles are on cold wet roads so I prioritise grip over mileage - anything over 6k miles is a bonus.

I had a 2013 Street Glide that I kept for a year and did 14.5k miles on.

I was never 100% happy with the grip of the stock Dunlops so switched them for Metzeler 880s (I'd had Metzelers on a bunch of BMWs and had also used them on a couple of my British bikes years ago) unfortunately these 880s were made in Brazil and lethal in the wet.  Allegedly the German and Chinese manufactured ones are fine. But I went for Avon tyres instead and really liked these. They felt like a slight improvement over the Dunlops but they do require higher pressures.

Apologies, but I can't remember at what mileage I switched tyres. 

Only got 2k miles on my new CVO Street Glide so still on stock Dunlops at the moment - wheel sizes on the CVO may limit my choices when it comes to the next set.

Cheers     

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »

Sadly, what will work on a regular Street Glide won't work on a CVO.  Different size wheels and tires.  The stock 18 inch CVO rims are 5.0 inches wide, and the 180/55 tires are made specifically for H-D to work with that rim.  The other 180/55's on the market, as I noted above, are designed for lighter sport bikes and for wider rims.  In other words, Harley specifically chose a combination that no one else makes.  Kind of locks you in to buying their parts, unless you want to change wheels.  No one ever said H-D was dumb when it comes to making money.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »

I'm frustrated as well. Avon has no plans to make a front tire that will fit my 14' CVO RoadKing, or my 15' RoadGlide. Michelin either  :thumbsdown: Hopefully the American Elite will perform well wet , dry and tire life.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »

grc is spot on with his advice, i just went thru this last week (again) and i had to suck it up and hand the money over to the HD dealer
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »

Agree with GRC on this one.  Went through this issue a few years ago with trying to put Avon on my 2010.  Terrible wobble at high speeds under load. 
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »

Dunlop now is offering the American Elite 180/55B18 for our bikes.

I watched them install one on a CVO at Daytona Bikeweek

Gerhard

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »

The (new) stock Dunlops are not that bad. Actually they´re doin pretty well. I had my first miles on the FHXSE, dry road conditions, temps around 59F - and it´s damn OK. (don´t take me wrong - I´m coming from DUCATI 998s superbike, and I know about grip.)
------------------------------------------------------
2018 BMW R nineT Urban G/S
2016 CVO Street Glide Black Licorice with Midnight Cobalt Flames >>> lemonized
2004 Ducati 998sFinal Edition Rosso Anniversario
2002 Triumph Speed Triple Black (sold)
1999 BMW R1100S Silver/Yellow Custom Paint (sold)
1994 BMW Funduro 650 Black (sold)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »

American Elite is a better tire. Dunlop rep spoke at our HOG meeting and verified...1/16 more tread and improved design against cupping. Both use same rubber compound. But HD tire is better if you need to use dealer and want it to say Harley Davidson on the side....
Will

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »

I have no cupping since I started running 44 PSI in the rear and checking it every day with a TPMS.  I add more air since I check it daily. 

I'm sure keeping it full of air is the key to longevity.

As for grip, I'm almost 63 years old, and there are things I don't ask of my Harley, like dragging hard parts.

So far, I've stuck with the OEM HD tire.  Will get the new Dunlop when it's time.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.