Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary fluid with Assist and Slip clutch  (Read 2240 times)

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
Primary fluid with Assist and Slip clutch
« on: March 26, 2016, 04:48:41 AM »

So I will be due for the first fluid change pretty soon. As has been standard practice for me, I will be getting rid of the HD fluids. My previous bikes have all run Mobil1 in the motor, Redline MTL in the primary, and Redline Heavy Shock in the trans. I will continue to run Mobil1 in the moter and the Redline Heavy in the trans.

My question comes to the AS clutch in the CVO models. Is there anything special about it that would impact my choice of fluids?  I was reading some more about the Mobil1 Vtwin and it said it can be used in wet clutch applications.  Seeing as how HD put the same fluid in all three, I was entertaining this as a possibility for the primary also. Thoughts?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Primary fluid with Assist and Slip clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »

My previous bikes have all run Mobil1 in the motor, Redline MTL in the primary, and Redline Heavy Shock in the trans. I will continue to run Mobil1 in the moter and the Redline Heavy in the trans.

My question comes to the AS clutch in the CVO models. Is there anything special about it that would impact my choice of fluids? 

Keep what you are doing above even with the AS clutch and you will be fine.  I run the Redline MTL with the AS clutch but the Mobil 1 Vtwin oil will work also.
IMO, changing the primary oil at each oil and filter change is  more important than what you put in it.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »

Keep what you are doing above even with the AS clutch and you will be fine.  I run the Redline MTL with the AS clutch but the Mobil 1 Vtwin oil will work also.
IMO, changing the primary oil at each oil and filter change is  more important than what you put in it.

even though the manual specs for primary fluid changes at 10k intervals, I've always done it at 5k with the engine oil.  on the cable operated clutches, I would do an adjustment and fluid change first, then warm up the engine to change the engine oil.  always made the bike feel 'like new'.  with my 2013, and the as clutch, no adjustment necessary, but I still change the fluid at 5k.  I prefer shell rotella t, it is jaso rated for wet clutch use, and runs about $13 for a gallon jug.  more than enough for 3 fluid changes.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »

Being that the A&S clutch can surge due to its design I would suggest Belray , will give it added grip.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »

Being that the A&S clutch can surge due to its design I would suggest Belray , will give it added grip.

I would assume you are speaking of the standard Primary Chaincase lube. Do you also use their trans oil? If so, which one. Just wanting to have all the info to make an informed decision.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »

Yes
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.