Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary noisy when cold  (Read 1280 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Primary noisy when cold
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »

Hi to everyone, the original compensator on my 09 was replaced about 6k miles ago. (July 20, 2012) I haven't put a lot of miles on bike since then because I had back surgery which kept me grounded for a while. I requested the latest SE version at the time. My service repair order says the part no. is 40274-08. My service repair order also states that at my request a "SE" compensator upgrade was installed. Well it works fine, but it is very noisy until I ride for about five miles.( it wasn't noisy when first installed) Any comments would be appreciated. I think there is an improved version since then, but I don't know the part no. Just for the record at the time I took my bike in there was a little oil leaking from the stator plug. The tech said that anytime they see any oil leaking from something they are obligated to investigate it and repair as needed. I am still under warranty. Just wondering if I should live with it, or take it in and have the most recent compensator installed. Thanks in Advance CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Primary noisy when cold
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »

The newest version is the"new SE" compensator 40274-08A it is sold in this 42200064A 'kit'.
edit to correct #
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:33:51 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »

Noisy in what way?  Whining, whirring, squealing, clunking, :nixweiss:

Since the -08 version didn't include the lubrication drip tray, you may already be hearing the effects of the lack of lubrication that has been the bane of the SE compensator since they started selling it in 2008.  OR, you may be hearing noise related to the other common issue, the IPB (inner primary bearing), or even an issue with the primary chain adjuster.  Hard to tell without a close inspection.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »

Thanks Jerry, the noise  is kind of a clacking noise, which goes away after the drive train gets warmed up. CAHDBIKER

Noisy in what way?  Whining, whirring, squealing, clunking, :nixweiss:

Since the -08 version didn't include the lubrication drip tray, you may already be hearing the effects of the lack of lubrication that has been the bane of the SE compensator since they started selling it in 2008.  OR, you may be hearing noise related to the other common issue, the IPB (inner primary bearing), or even an issue with the primary chain adjuster.  Hard to tell without a close inspection.

Jerry

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.