Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXSTSSE2 Drive Belt Parts List  (Read 1152 times)

XBUNCEX

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
FXSTSSE2 Drive Belt Parts List
« on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »

The drive belt just broke on my 2008 Screamin Eagle Softail Springer. After reading the service manual several times and watching some very informative YT vids, I've gained the confidence to tackle the repair myself.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to provide the part numbers for the gaskets and primary case bolts that need to be replaced as well as any advice that might be helpful from someone who has done this task before.

I've searched these forums as well as the Web for part numbers but came up empty. The parts guy at my local dealership was more interested in trying to talk me into having them do the work than providing me with the info I need.

From my research it seems that I need new primary case bolts, primary cover gaskets, possibly an oil sealer gasket around the starter, a new drive belt (133 teeth), and some certain oil to fill the primary case.

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: FXSTSSE2 Drive Belt Parts List
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »

inspect the front and rear sprockets for any signs of wear also, lots of times they should be replaced as a set, belt and sprockets.

Good Luck

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

XBUNCEX

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »

inspect the front and rear sprockets for any signs of wear also, lots of times they should be replaced as a set, belt and sprockets.

Good Luck

TN

The rear driven sprocket looks good, I'll have to inspect the front drive sprocket when I pull the primary chain case off.

Thanks for the advice!

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »

Drive belt replacement is a fairly big job , good on you for having a go.

Fairly big stripdown on the primary side.

What "bolts" do you think will need replacing ? I've never replaced any bolts myself , other than Polished stainless or similar for cosmetic reasons.

I'm thinking your sprockets front and rear will be fine for re-use.

Whatever primary oil the shop selling you the primary gasket recommend will be fine. One quart, maybe a tad more for a 'dry" build.
No illegitimi carborundum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »

I don't see any mention of how many miles are on the bike, or if there was some definite reason the belt broke.  Before I'd assure anyone the sprockets won't need to be replaced, I'd like to have that information.  Putting a new belt on worn or damaged sprockets is a good way to get to do the whole thing all over again not too many more miles down the road.

Since you have the shop manual, look at the section on the belt and sprockets and study the photo's showing what to look for when inspecting sprockets.  Without a brand new one for a visual comparison, the wear isn't always obvious to a casual inspection.

I'm also not aware of any primary bolts that have to be replaced.

Jerry

For part numbers, go here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=708&b=21&c=0&d=2008 FXSTSSE2 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER SOFTAIL® (PT) CHAIN CASE HOUSING

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=708&b=23&c=0&d=2008 FXSTSSE2 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER SOFTAIL® (PT) BELTS W/ CHAINS AND SPROCKETS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:39:21 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.