Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Limited shifter frozen  (Read 3109 times)

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
2016 Limited shifter frozen
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »

So today taking a ride and once again my shifter "froze" . Seemed like I was out of gears and no matter how hard a hit the levers it would not go out of gear(4th). This has happened a few times before and the dealer is never able to "replicate " it so I get the bike back with nothing done.
I seem to remember reading a prior POST from someone with the same issue. can someone direct me to it as I can't find it.
Reaching the end of my patience with this brand new bike . 40 large on a bike 6 weeks ago and it's back in the shop for the 4th time. :'(
 Worst HD I've had in 35 years and I have owned a bunch of them. Really disappointing.

Thanks

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2016 Limited shifter frozen
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 08:18:02 PM »

Apparently you have had more problems than just the transmission? To label it the worst HD ever in your 35 yrs of HD, that puts you back when the bikes really were not very good. What are the other items you've had problems with. Share.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:47:56 PM »

Apparently you have had more problems than just the transmission? To label it the worst HD ever in your 35 yrs of HD, that puts you back when the bikes really were not very good. What are the other items you've had problems with. Share.
OK so maybe I'm venting a bit but between this engine rattling and making noises I have never experienced with any other HD and now the shifting issues the bike has been back to the dealer 4 times. Also had the windshield crack and when I removed the front fairing trim to replace the windshield i found some really shoddy work was done in either attaching the windshield by the dealer or by the factory during Mfg. Huge paint chips around the install hole etc. Blemish is covered up by the chrome molding so HD isn't interested in making that right and I can deal with that. But perhaps i have been lucky over the last 35 years but my past  bikes have had few problems if any.
 This bike, seems I am back to the dealer every week or so with some problem and they are not so quick to fix issues.
I have heard "can not replicate" several times . I have been told by the service guys the 110 motor is the loudest , most rattling motor HD has put out and "ride it till it breaks and then you have a warranty".
Perhaps it's just me but I am not looking forward to taking this bike on the road waiting for it to break so i can deal with the B/S 1000 miles from home .
I suppose i could just ride it around the block until it breaks enough for them to spend some time trying to trouble shoot it but still I hoped for better from the "best they had to offer" and a shop collecting $120 bucks an hour to turn wrenches on my motorcycle..  And yes i am picky about my motorcycle. I expect to be able to get on it and shift it through the gears and while I understand Harley motors make noise. The rattling going on in this motor is not normal. In spite of what they want me to believe.  Even the service writer said it didn't sound right until it came back from the mechanic with a could not replicate .
 Oh and this is on a bike with less than 2000 miles on it. Hate to imagine what I will end up with after 10 or 15 thousand miles.
It is what it is but today I'm not happy with the whole deal. Tomorrow is a new day and perhaps it will be better.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »

So just for info to others using Soft Brake shifters who have a similar problem with being unable to shift out of or into gears.. The dealer is saying that the spacer and spring supplied by Soft Brake is digging into the primary and perhaps causing the problem. Spoke to Rick at Soft Brake and he knew immediately when I told him my issue with the occasional failure of the shifting mechanism the problem. He explained the dealer is tightening down the spring and not allowing any play. The stock installation uses a rubber bushing and spacer which they tighten down. The Soft Brake unit does not require that level of snugness hence the spring to allow for expansion or movement.
Dealer basically said either go back to the stock set up or take a chance on voiding any warranty repairs in that area or brought on by that after market addition (basically being a DICK).
Been dealing with Harley dealers for over 35 years regarding my bikes and never had such a negative contact with a dealer regarding such a simple issue. Tried to get Service writer to contact SoftBrake . Basically he said he is to busy and doesn't really care what Rick has to say . Harley Davidson doesn't warranty after market parts.  Going to get my bike out of there and start over with another dealer for any repairs or service down the road. Hopefully this dealer doesn't flag my warranty on the computer so as to cause other dealers to question warranty issues. Yes they can and will do that if they get pissed enough about a customer. 

262 CVO 16

• Full CVO Member
  • MOLON LABE
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 Carbon Crystal
    • CVO2: 2015 Jeep Willys JK on 35s
    • CVO3: 2014 Black Denim SG (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »

I can't help the problem, but may I suggest you throw out the dealer name and location, so if we have a better shop in the area, we can make a suggestion?  Just trying to help.
2016 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal w/ Phantom Flames
Matching Tourpack
Day Maker Spots
CD LED Blinkers
16" Apes
Yaffe Plate

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »

I can't help the problem, but may I suggest you throw out the dealer name and location, so if we have a better shop in the area, we can make a suggestion?  Just trying to help.
Not going to do that. Last thing I want do is antagonize the dealer. Besides it may just be an issue between the Service guys and me and they are taking care others better.
Bike is back in my hands withe stock rubber spacer and black sleeve. Most importantly so far it's shifting fine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »

So just for info to others using Soft Brake shifters who have a similar problem with being unable to shift out of or into gears.. The dealer is saying that the spacer and spring supplied by Soft Brake is digging into the primary and perhaps causing the problem. Spoke to Rick at Soft Brake and he knew immediately when I told him my issue with the occasional failure of the shifting mechanism the problem. He explained the dealer is tightening down the spring and not allowing any play. The stock installation uses a rubber bushing and spacer which they tighten down. The Soft Brake unit does not require that level of snugness hence the spring to allow for expansion or movement.
Dealer basically said either go back to the stock set up or take a chance on voiding any warranty repairs in that area or brought on by that after market addition (basically being a DICK).
Been dealing with Harley dealers for over 35 years regarding my bikes and never had such a negative contact with a dealer regarding such a simple issue. Tried to get Service writer to contact SoftBrake . Basically he said he is to busy and doesn't really care what Rick has to say . Harley Davidson doesn't warranty after market parts.  Going to get my bike out of there and start over with another dealer for any repairs or service down the road. Hopefully this dealer doesn't flag my warranty on the computer so as to cause other dealers to question warranty issues. Yes they can and will do that if they get pissed enough about a customer.

Who installed the SoftBrake parts, you or this dealership?  If you bought them through this dealership and had them install the parts, then they are responsible for doing it right.  If on the other hand you bought the parts and installed them, the dealership has no obligation to do anything for you.  And if the SoftBrake parts are causing the problem, the Harley warranty isn't going to take care of any problem with those parts or any problem caused by those parts.

Btw, I don't see any installation instructions for that spring loaded spacer on their website.  It looks like a Mickey Mouse design and you would probably be better off going back to the stock spacer.  JMHO of course.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »

Who installed the SoftBrake parts, you or this dealership?  If you bought them through this dealership and had them install the parts, then they are responsible for doing it right.  If on the other hand you bought the parts and installed them, the dealership has no obligation to do anything for you.  And if the SoftBrake parts are causing the problem, the Harley warranty isn't going to take care of any problem with those parts or any problem caused by those parts.

Btw, I don't see any installation instructions for that spring loaded spacer on their website.  It looks like a Mickey Mouse design and you would probably be better off going back to the stock spacer.  JMHO of course.

Jerry

The dealer installed the parts and of course there would be no responsibility for HD to warranty someone else's part. Soft Brake has sold tens of thousands of these parts to provide more floor board room and a more comfortable riding position for taller riders. I have used them on prior bikes with no issues as well. I provide the info as a suggestion to others who have purchased the product and  may have noticed a problem as i did and assume it was a HD issue with the transmission . When i spoke to the owner of Soft Brake he immediately recognized the problem and directed me to a fix. Leading me to assume I was not the first to call him regarding this.
I would agree perhaps it should be noted in the installation instructions on the front end but as i didn't install them I was not aware .
I do feel however a bit of customer service by the dealer for a customer who spends large sums of money on a pretty regular basis can go a long way  to encourage future spending of large sums of money, but that may be an old business model.
Safe riding to all.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »

I have the soft brake extended shift lever and their brake lever.  It's great stuff.  Never had an issue and I am I sing a long chrome spacer without the rear shifter.  It's been fine. . There is a very little movement between the moving parts that look like it belongs there so nothing will bind.. . It's a simple install.  You don't need the dealer to do it and tell you it's aftermarket and no good.. .  Start over and do it yourself. . You will be surprised how easy it is and you will love their products. . Stuart. 

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:57 AM »

I have the soft brake extended shift lever and their brake lever.  It's great stuff.  Never had an issue and I am I sing a long chrome spacer without the rear shifter.  It's been fine. . There is a very little movement between the moving parts that look like it belongs there so nothing will bind.. . It's a simple install.  You don't need the dealer to do it and tell you it's aftermarket and no good.. .  Start over and do it yourself. . You will be surprised how easy it is and you will love their products. . Stuart.

I agree. i have been using the product on my last three bikes without issue. For some reason this one binded up. According to Rick at Soft Brake it was tightened to much and he suggested I just re-install it myself. For now I will leave it with the OEM rubber bushing and black spacer. Not worth giving my local dealer something to blame should I need warranty repairs down the road.
It's all good for now. I am a bit sensitive about this bike as it is my first CVO and I have disliked them for years as many of my friends have had them only to spend most of the time waiting for them to get out of repair shop or exchanging 110 motors multiple times. And to answer the follow up question from some, I feel in love with the color and look of this bike at a time when i needed a change so i bought it.. and sold a perfectly good 2014 Limited with all the bugs worked out of it. Hopefully I will work the bugs out of this one and it will give a few years and many miles of good riding.
Soft Brake is a good product that moves the brake pedal to a more natural and safer riding position for those who don't like to have to lift their foot to find the rear brake pad. The longer shift arms and brake pedal arm also give you full use of the boards. And the floor board spacers move the boards away from the frame 3/4 of an inch on both sides giving a bit more room for long legs. I'm satisfied with the product.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »

So in summary the problem was not HD and the dealer did a quick fix for you, correct?  That doesn't sound too bad.  I haven't heard much about these bikes being more noisy then others. My convertible CVO had V&H pipes so I didn't hear much but that HA.  Is there more engine noise in these bikes? It seems comparable to my old Ultra. 

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »

So in summary the problem was not HD and the dealer did a quick fix for you, correct?  That doesn't sound too bad.  I haven't heard much about these bikes being more noisy then others. My convertible CVO had V&H pipes so I didn't hear much but that HA.  Is there more engine noise in these bikes? It seems comparable to my old Ultra.
Arguably it was a installation issue of the non Harley part by a Harley mechanic. I didn't mention this but the last three bikes I have had had this Soft Brake part and was installed by two different dealers but the same mechanic worked on two of the  bikes. The first two had no issues . For some reason  this one did.
According to the Service Manager at this dealer the 110 is a very "noisy" motor. This was in response to the rattle I experience when the bike is hot and you pull in the clutch. They apparently have a service bulletin that says "that's normal".
The whole thing could have been avoided if the service writer or the mechanic would have invested 3 minutes in a phone call to the Soft Brake folks to hear how to install the part. They were to "busy". 
All is well . It's a done deal until the next problem.

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.