Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike won't start unless in neutral  (Read 6309 times)

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited
Bike won't start unless in neutral
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »

Can anyone tell me where the clutch lock-out switch is located on a 15 Ultra Limited. Bike won't start unless in neutral. Bike has 23k on it and is starting to have problems. Seriously thinking about trading it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Bike won't start unless in neutral
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »

As best I can tell the clutch interlock is now part of the left handlebar switch pack on the CAN bus bikes, instead of the old simple separate mechanical switch (similar to the front brake light switch) used on the earlier bikes.  A trip to the dealer is probably in order.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »

I have a new rgu. . It won't start unless the clutch is fully engaged or in neutral. . . Stuart.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:52:56 AM »

cvostu,  you need to see the dealer also.  not being able to start your bike in gear with the clutch pulled in could be a safety issue.  what if your bike stalled in the middle of an intersection?  having to shift into neutral before you start could add a couple of extra seconds (which seem like a lifetime when you're in the crosshairs).
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »

Stu, did you mean to say "DISengaged"?  It should work just like the pre-Rushed More bikes, with the starter locked out only if the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged.

I did some reading elsewhere and it seems more than a few people have had problems with the interlock on 2014 and later bikes.  Some indicated they thought it failed right after the bike got wet, as in an enthusiastic wash job or heavy rain storm.  Harley has had some serious issues with both switch packs btw, more so the right side.    Both have been revised, the right side twice, since 2014.  I suggest people get this stuff sorted out while still in warranty, since the cost of a repair with the new CAN bus system has escalated by about 850%.  Yes, that's not a typo.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »

My '15 CVO RGU developed this issue of would not start unless in neutral.  Dealer indicated the clutch sensor in the left grip controls were bad.  Ordered the entire control in from HD and replaced as a unit.  Took them about 15 minutes to swap it out under warranty.  Apparently the entire grip controls come as one combined unit, guess computerized controls are cheaper to produce as a single circuit board.

I've seen reports of several right side controls going bad.  I've sometimes been suspect of my right side control switches as occasionally on group ride the cb squelch does not seem to be working.  It could also be that someone in the group has a faulty PTT switch and CB is staying active all the time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:35:18 AM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »

Stu, did you mean to say "DISengaged"?  It should work just like the pre-Rushed More bikes, with the starter locked out only if the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged.

I did some reading elsewhere and it seems more than a few people have had problems with the interlock on 2014 and later bikes.  Some indicated they thought it failed right after the bike got wet, as in an enthusiastic wash job or heavy rain storm.  Harley has had some serious issues with both switch packs btw, more so the right side.    Both have been revised, the right side twice, since 2014.  I suggest people get this stuff sorted out while still in warranty, since the cost of a repair with the new CAN bus system has escalated by about 850%.  Yes, that's not a typo.

Jerry

Another very good reason an ESP is a must have with a Harley.  Certainly not doubting your info but curious as to why cost has escalated with CAN bus system.  Heck I thought it was supposed to simplify things.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

Another very good reason an ESP is a must have with a Harley.  Certainly not doubting your info but curious as to why cost has escalated with CAN bus system.  Heck I thought it was supposed to simplify things.   :nixweiss:

The old simple switch cost about $27, but the new all-in-one switch pack runs $238.  Yes, CAN bus is great and it simplified many things for the manufacturers.  It also greatly increases repair costs when the various modules go bad.  Quality in design and manufacture of all those parts is even more important than ever.  Consider modern appliances with all electronic controls.  A simple switch failure in the old days could be easily fixed by the homeowner for less than $30, now entire electronic modules must be replaced even if only one function isn't working.

Jerry

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »

I better clarify that. . It starts without any problems as long as I pull in the clutch lever all the way. . Is that disengaged!!!! Stuart. 

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

I better clarify that. . It starts without any problems as long as I pull in the clutch lever all the way. . Is that disengaged!!!! Stuart.
:2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »

The old simple switch cost about $27, but the new all-in-one switch pack runs $238.  Yes, CAN bus is great and it simplified many things for the manufacturers.  It also greatly increases repair costs when the various modules go bad.  Quality in design and manufacture of all those parts is even more important than ever.  Consider modern appliances with all electronic controls.  A simple switch failure in the old days could be easily fixed by the homeowner for less than $30, now entire electronic modules must be replaced even if only one function isn't working.

Jerry
i hear ya.  Reminded me that a few years ago I had to replace a perfectly good Kenmore side by side fridge that had one minor problem - it would not defrost and of course it froze up from time to time.  Repairman diagnosed a bad circuit board and of course the circuit board was obsolete and I could not find a replacement.  So fridge was toast.  Ain't technology wonderful- well sometimes it certainly is but other times it can be a b**ch.

IBA member # 45520

Mickle

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Gold Rush CVO FLHTKSE, sold.
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Anniversary FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:43:51 AM »

Mine had the same problem from just about new, replaced left hand switch pack and all was good for a while then failed again to start unless in neutral, switch
changed again and all good, couple of months ago the horn failed and guess what? it was the left switch pack again. I have 51,000 kms on the bike now and all else
good except for the shift shaft stripping.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.