Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 CVO Street Glide stock head pipe  (Read 2094 times)

Musketfever

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

2016 CVO Street Glide stock head pipe
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:56:26 PM »

Just wanted to say hello, I have 2016 CVO street glide, its stock except for the mufflers, I installed the 2 inch fullsac baffles, and a power vision. The bike runs great, I'm just concern about the heat from the cat, as for as damaging the motor.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: 2016 CVO Street Glide stock head pipe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »

I'd be worrying about damaging you.  :nervous:

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »

So long as you're staying closed-loop with the stock O2 sensors you'll probably be alright, but the richer it's running, the hotter the cat will get.

I've got (only) 10k miles on a '14 Limited with some old Rush 2"-core mufflers on, nothing else.  Have not really noticed any too much heat from the cat.  Sure, it's warm, but it's rather down and off to the side...  Will the heat from the cat damage the motor?  How would that even be possible?  NO.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »

So long as you're staying closed-loop with the stock O2 sensors you'll probably be alright, but the richer it's running, the hotter the cat will get.

Actually, putting bigger fulsac baffles in, would be moving more air through the motor.  More air and same fuel is leaner.  Leaner mixture is a hotter exhaust temp.

Traditionally when you put an high flow exhaust and high flow air cleaner on you richen the mixture and this helps lower temps. 

Theses bikes come way lean from the factory to meet EPA rules.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Musketfever

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »

I flashed a map from fuel moto, with the power vision, and most likely going to install the fullsac head pipe this winter. If it wasn't for the heat from the stock head pipe, I stay with the stock head pipe, bike runs great.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »

Actually, putting bigger fulsac baffles in, would be moving more air through the motor.  More air and same fuel is leaner.  Leaner mixture is a hotter exhaust temp.

Traditionally when you put an high flow exhaust and high flow air cleaner on you richen the mixture and this helps lower temps. 

Theses bikes come way lean from the factory to meet EPA rules.

Putting bigger baffles behind the cat ain't gonna change things all that much, except for the sound level.

Yeah, more air and same fuel would be leaner, but the larger baffles after the cat aren't going to be drawing any more air into the combustion chamber - at least nothing worth quibbling over.  And the ECM will pick up on the fact (after the fact, but before the next one) that the mixture has changed and will put it right back as best it can.  With only slip-on mufflers its job won't be too difficult.  But mustn't forget that in this case we're talking about a can of worms that has a re-flashed ECM.

Changing out the complete exhaust and with a high-flow air cleaner, you probably would need to enrich the mixture - but not the same across the board.  Who knows, might have an area or two where some needs taken away...

They're pretty lean, stock, but not dangerously so, and likely less than they'd need to be without the cat.

So long as the OP don't take it out of closed loop while throwing a bunch of fuel at it "to cool off the motor" there won't be any damaging heat off the cat.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.