Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bad compensators?  (Read 3022 times)

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

• CVO1: 06 SE ULTRA
bad compensators?
« on: July 19, 2016, 10:11:19 PM »

What year did the compensators start having troubles in the ultras?
If it was easy, everyone would do it!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: bad compensators?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:26:18 PM »

What year did the compensators start having troubles in the ultras?

2007 when they introduced the six speed Cruise Drive trans and new primary design.  The original compensator in 2007 was junk, the SE compensator Harley started selling in 2008 was better but wasn't very reliable, and after nine years and several changes they still aren't extremely reliable.  Why do you ask?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:24:40 PM »

sometimes i have a sneeze on startup and i believe it to be a starter issue due to 10.2 compression or i had thought maybe compensator. but i have an 06 so i should be ok i guess.. 

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »

just put the forth in my 2013 at 48k miles,,,that sneezing thing was one of the symptoms with the first two & knocking with all of them
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:04:14 AM »

sometimes i have a sneeze on startup and i believe it to be a starter issue due to 10.2 compression or i had thought maybe compensator. but i have an 06 so i should be ok i guess..

Sneeze and a thwack are signs it is going.  Don't ask me how I know!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »

guess maybe ill have someone else take a peek at it once.. the work as always will be done my me. but im not sure..   when you listen it sounds like the starter dont have enough umph, but i have been seeing comp posts forever that sound like what i have as well...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:40:20 AM »

guess maybe ill have someone else take a peek at it once.. the work as always will be done my me. but im not sure..   when you listen it sounds like the starter dont have enough umph, but i have been seeing comp posts forever that sound like what i have as well...

You can't compare the compensator of the 2006 and earlier bikes with the one in the 2007 and later bikes.  Apples and rutabagas comparison.

Is this bike new to you, or have you owned it since 2006?  Has it been properly tuned?  Those coughs and spitting back were common even with a completely stock CVO103, and they will get worse if you add compression and don't address the start parameters of the tune.  Depending on what cam you have, your actual cranking pressure may be higher than you think also.  At some point it becomes a very good idea to add compression releases for the best starting performance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:02 AM »

If your starter does not sound like it does not have enough ump, have your battery checked first for out put.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »

had this bike for 3 years now. its been tuned with a powervision, and it has a crate T124lc motor in it that i installed last year. it did this occasionally with the original 103 but seems a lot worse this last month or so. i can talk to the tuner yet again, (he hates e by now) but i would assume more fuel in the start enrichment would help?

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »

also came with the 585 ezstart cams. seems to be getting worse. im just wondering if the starter isnt spinning if fast enough. once its running there are no other issues. GRC, you mentioned this was commen even with the stock 103 and i do recall hearing it on rare occasions with that motor as well but its much more prevalant now.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 10:47:01 AM »

Not to hijack this thread but I have been putting off installing a new clutch on my 2010 SESG because I'm concerned with what I'll find when I open the primary  (the clutch is slipping due to Steve at GMR's handy work ;D). 75% of the time when starting I experience a sneeze or hard start so I'm pretty sure the compensator needs to be replaced.

So what can I expect? What do I look for when I open the primary to determine if the compensator is in need of replacement?

Also, more importantly, what do I replace it with? HD SE, Baker, Revera?

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:08:46 AM by mwg »
RLTW

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:52 AM »

In my case the 07 comp was poor from the outset, changed to the SE version when it became available,  managed about 4-5,000 miles before it started playing up, changed the second one out again after 5-6,ooo miles, then bought the COMPENSAVER to with the
most recent SE comp, only done about 4,000 miles due to engine rebuild (113 now) but has been quieter with perfect operation than a standard SE comp, Well worth the cost of the compensaver ($199). 
WHUFC   COYI

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »

So the tuner claims everything is as it should be. But as is typical i couldn't get it to do it while I was there. I stopped at another indy shop and he said right away it sounded like a starter clutch. Any other ideas?

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.