Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compression Test  (Read 1132 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Compression Test
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »

Why does the engine need to be at operating temperature to do a compression test? Also with ACR's activated are the readings still supposed to be between 130 to 170 PSI  as stated in my 2008 manual? Thanks.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Compression Test
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »

Disconnect the ACR's and look for about 215 per cylinder.
Motor slightly warm.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »

I have always done Compression Check on a cold engine... hence the term Cold Cranking Pressure.

Don't see how one could get a good reading with active ACRs?

Easiest way I've found, plugs out, key off, jump (or use start button) from main hot lead at starter to solinoid trigger (green wire), turn over until gauge pressure no longer increases...

This procedure will leave ACRs, spark and fuel offline...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:38:54 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »

I think the recommendation to check compression at operating temperature dates back quite a long way, and it has to do with getting better and more consistent readings once all the parts have expanded and you have normal operating clearances.  It's probably less necessary on modern engines that were machined and built to tighter clearances and tolerances. 

I found the best method is the same as what FlaHeatWave mentioned.  Leave the ignition turned off so you won't get ACR's operating or fuel and spark, and jumper from the positive battery cable stud on the starter to the solenoid connection.  I took an old cheap remote starter switch from my pile of old automotive tools and modified it slightly by installing a spade connector on one lead that fits the solenoid, and left the regular clamp on the other lead.  Remove the plugs, block the throttle wide open, connect the remote starter switch, install the compression gauge to the cylinder to be tested, and then push the button and let the engine crank over until the gauge stops increasing.  Write down the reading and then repeat for the other cylinder.  And one of the most important things is the difference from one cylinder to the other.  Ideally they should be very close if not identical, but in the real world on an engine with some miles on it that isn't likely.  If you get a significant difference from one cylinder to the other, you need to do some additional testing, starting with a leak-down test.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »

Thanks to everyone for information. Will tackle the job this week. Waiting on gauge to arrive.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.