Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine cuts out  (Read 863 times)

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Engine cuts out
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »

Hi All,
Had a rebuild , 4.065"  pistons, crank trued and fitted with S&S crank pin with Timken bearing upgrade, have now 800miles on the clock, I have Tmax ECU and decided to leave the map alone as really the only change is the increased engine capacity.
Apart from being a little rough at low RPM the bike ran OK, but in the last few days it has started to cut out, sometimes when warming up and sometimes when hot.
Would switch off restart and everything would be fine for the rest of that ride, start from cold and the same thing happens.
Have now noticed that every now and then the engine temp gauge jumps from 250 degrees to 380 degrees the Engine check light comes on, often at the same time as the engine cuts out  (but not always), then if the engine does not cut out, after a 20-30 seconds the temp gauge goes back to normal, also am not getting any DTC`s.
When the engine cuts out I still have power, all lights etc are still working, so its not power related,  my instinct is to change the temp sensor, but before I do, does anyone know if and how to test it?
Ride Safe.
WHUFC   COYI

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Engine cuts out
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 01:44:22 PM »

You can check the resistance of the sensor at various temperatures and compare to the standard values listed for each temp.  You would need a good ohm meter and a way to cool and heat the ET sensor to do a full test.  Before you go that route you might want to start out by checking all the wiring and connections for that sensor, from the ET sensor back to the ECM.  Perhaps when disassembling and reassembling the engine a wire was damaged or a connector terminal pulled loose.  Considering this issue started after the engine work, I'd be more inclined to believe a wiring problem than the sensor suddenly failing.

Btw, you really should have the tune checked.  Increasing the engine displacement will affect the tune.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: Engine cuts out
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the info , have got hold of a replacement sensor so will start with the easy stuff first, going change out the sensor and do a complete reset of the thunder-max and reinstall the map and go through new map setup as per Tmax instructions,  hopefully that will sort it, if not will look for wiring defect.

Many thanks.
WHUFC   COYI

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.