Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twin Cooled 110 High Comp Pistons  (Read 5366 times)

Fraca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Twin Cooled 110 High Comp Pistons
« on: November 28, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »

I would like to know why the 2016 SE parts catalogue lists high comp Pistons for the 103 twin cooled engine and not the 110 power plant? Also when will higher comp Pistons be available for the 110 as I would like to bring up the compression ratio a bit.

Thanks Fraca.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Twin Cooled 110 High Comp Pistons
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »

The 110 wet motor uses the same pistons as the air cooled.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »

Correct- We've used the 10.5 110 SE pistons in the wet head with no issues.  SE catalog says no but it works fine.

Fraca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply's, I guess the difficulty is given my engine is still under warranty my dealer will only fit what is specifically listed in the catalogue that suits the 110 wet head.

Do you have the part numbers for the Pistons as the dealer also indicates the wet head may have a different shaped combustion chamber to non wet head cylinder head which is why in their mind previous model Pistons won't fit.

I did point out to them that the Pro CNC Ported Heads for twin cooled (fig c) page 83 of the SE parts book lists these heads should be matched to SE high comp Pistons so therefore they must be available, but unfortunately it doesn't list the part number for them. However I am also presuming these heads are for the 103 power plant given they list they only fit twin cooled models FLHTCU FLHTCUL FLHTK FLHTKL FLTRU.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »

Once again a dealer is misinformed. The 103 twin cooled motor takes different pistons than the air cooled version. Not the same with the CVO twin cooled 110. It has the same chamber as the air cooled 110 and even if the catalog does not show the pistons working they actually do but warranty? None technically. Any parts that have the race flags such as the high compression pistons can void a nationwide warranty of the motor. Dealers can make local deals with customers at their own discretion but that is a verbal agreement only. The only engine packages that are warrantied nationally are the ones listed as "Compliant Stage Kits" which there are none for the CVO 110 in the 2016 catalog. That said these kits need to be installed at the time of vehicle delivery, not after the fact.
If you want to make the 110 motor run better than a good tune and pipes I think it is wise to engage a good independant shop for advice. This dealer is obviously not too suave and up on the performance packages and how they relate to warranty coverage.
It is very easy to get the 110 reliable and over 120 HP and TQ but the owner assumes the motor warranty technically. Personally I chose that route on my 110 as I could no longer stand the valve train noise.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:12:34 PM by HD Street Performance »

Fraca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »

Thank you for sound advice, I was disappointed when I ordered the bike to find no engine upgrades because as you suggested I would have done them pre-delivery. I guess I have no other options pending breaking warranty so I will ride the warranty out for the time being so to say then look into some upgrades once complete.

I was also cautious as you suggested on the local agreement and the verbal "she'll be right mate, we've never knocked back a warranty on SE upgrades" before. 

Somewhat disappointed all the same that I have to now wait so long before I can really enjoy my bike knowing there is plenty of potential for gaining reliable TQ and HP without scrificing reliability or street ability..

Thanks again, Fraca

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »

I have helped folks out of the US with these heads but it gets very costly with all things considered including new Harley castings

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »

Do you really want to be limited to Screamin eagle/Mahle pistons for the 110 ?

Wait till the warranty is done....throw a cam at it and a tune and build something worth building....
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

jsfenster110

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:12:48 AM »

So, for those of us who are willing to assume the warranty will be over, what piston only options do we have to raise compression to say, 10:1-10:25?

Most of the aftermarket cams, including the SE 585 work better at higher compression.  I don't want to spend the $2,100 for the 117 and the changes to my exhaust.  But a cam and compression upgrade makes sense to me.
Previous bikes: 2009 RK, 2010 Heritage, 2011 RKC, 2012 RGU,
2015 V-Rod, 2004 BMW K1200GT and 2016 SGCVO.

BADRDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 CVO
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »

I would give these guys a look. They will have almost anything you are looking for as far as pistons. Including 10.7:1 pistons for the 117"drop in jugs!
http://www.suburbanharley.com/

jsfenster110

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »

Cool.  Thanks.  They come up quickly on a Google search for pistons.  Never heard of them but will check them out.
Previous bikes: 2009 RK, 2010 Heritage, 2011 RKC, 2012 RGU,
2015 V-Rod, 2004 BMW K1200GT and 2016 SGCVO.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.