Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: D & D FATCATS - SWAPPING OUT MUFFLER (NOT BAFFLE)  (Read 1904 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
D & D FATCATS - SWAPPING OUT MUFFLER (NOT BAFFLE)
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »

I just thought I'd share this info.  I bought D & D Fatcats with the Ghost Pipe last year and put them on my '06 CUSE.  I've really enjoyed the exhaust system and have been pleased with the performance, but have thought that I wouldn't mind if they were just a little less on the loud side.  I have recently heard that there is a quieter baffle available, so I spoke to Steve at AMS about this quieter baffle and acquiring one.  He said that it was a misconception that the baffle could be changed out.  He said that it is welded in place and is an integral part of the muffler. 

I'm interested in an '07 SERK and would not have a problem with the elevated sound on the Road King.  He said that I could buy Fatcats with the quieter muffler for the '07 and swap out the mufflers - the louder unit currently on the '06 CUSE to go on the '07 SERK and the new quieter muffler to be installed on the '06 CUSE. 

I read and hear about folks "removing" baffles, so just assumed that you could change out baffles on these D & D mufflers.  I was wrong according to Steve and wanted to pass the info along.  The muffler swap may be of interest to me and I thought it might interest others.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: D & D FATCATS - SWAPPING OUT MUFFLER (NOT BAFFLE)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:24:30 PM »

Preston, the guys at D&D told me that the muff with the quiet baffle reduced sound by 50% without much affect on performance.  I'll be interested to see & hear what these sound like if you put them on your Ultra.  These bigger engines, 103s and 110s for sure, just push a lot more air and muffs that are tolerable on 95s are way loud on these. 

I was talking to V&H the other day about their performance ovals.  Tech guy told me they sit near the dyno room and they had a SERK with the 110, dresser duals and performance oval muffs.  Said it was so loud he couldn't talk on the phone when they were revving it.

That is why I'm going very, very slowly about mods to mine.  Don't want to get a setup that will be too loud.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »

For some reason I was thinking that the Boarzilla exhaust was in particular for the SE 110 engine, but when I asked Steve at AMS about them, he said that they are really loud.  He indicated that the Fatcats are fine for the 110s and I guess you can pick your sound level.  I'm not sure how you do that unless you've had a chance to listen to someone elses bike with the subject baffles installed.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:57:57 PM »

I just thought I'd share this info.  I bought D & D Fatcats with the Ghost Pipe last year and put them on my '06 CUSE.  I've really enjoyed the exhaust system and have been pleased with the performance, but have thought that I wouldn't mind if they were just a little less on the loud side.  I have recently heard that there is a quieter baffle available, so I spoke to Steve at AMS about this quieter baffle and acquiring one.  He said that it was a misconception that the baffle could be changed out.  He said that it is welded in place and is an integral part of the muffler. 

I'm interested in an '07 SERK and would not have a problem with the elevated sound on the Road King.  He said that I could buy Fatcats with the quieter muffler for the '07 and swap out the mufflers - the louder unit currently on the '06 CUSE to go on the '07 SERK and the new quieter muffler to be installed on the '06 CUSE. 

I read and hear about folks "removing" baffles, so just assumed that you could change out baffles on these D & D mufflers.  I was wrong according to Steve and wanted to pass the info along.  The muffler swap may be of interest to me and I thought it might interest others.
Yes you are correct on the baffles are not removable >:( The quite baffle/muffler is -5 hp and -5 tourqe less than standard mufflers.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.