Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: change to hydraulic clutch or put an ez pull on?  (Read 1135 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
change to hydraulic clutch or put an ez pull on?
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »

i have an 09 street glide with a 117 and extra plate clutch with a vpc.  Its always pretty hard to pull the clutch.  I am pretty sure my clutch cable is about to break and only 2 years old.  So i was wondering if it would be better to switch to hydraulic at and loose your adjustability of the clutch, Or to get a clutch helper type?

What are the best clutch helpers also?  Seen a few but not sure which ones seem to work the best. 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: change to hydraulic clutch or put an ez pull on?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »

what kind of power are you putting to your clutch that you have a super strong spring in your vpc that makes it difficult to pull?  when I did my 107 kit, I had 124 ft/lbs of torque and was using the stock spring with the aim vpc 95 and had no slippage.  clutch pull was very easy at lower rpm, and at higher rpm when it was stronger, because it's just a pull/release kinda thing, it wasn't difficult at all.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »

What he said^^^.  The whole idea of a VPC is to allow you to use a lighter spring to avoid the problem you seem to have.  Also, check out the rest of the clutch release mechanism and the clutch itself to see if anything is binding.  A change to hydraulic is highly unlikely to fix the problem if you have too much spring or problems in the clutch pack itself.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:48:21 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »

I will have to take it apart and see what spring i have in there.  Don't remember what vpc i have either.  Its always been hard to pull.  Changed bars and put magnum cable on also and still hard to pull.  Why i was seeing if those ez pull by burley or the other ones helped or not.  I don't think i even put in the plate that comes with the energy 1 extra plate kit when i changed the clutch out.  I will have to see if i have any easier clutch springs and try that if you say its the only thing that will help.  I thought about trying it without the vpc also to see how much it really helps.  I am putting 120hp and 130tq to the ground.  Never had it slip though.  Just trying to get everything here and ready when my clutch cable breaks in the next week.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »

according to the aim website, the stock spring is a 280lb spring.  if you have the vp95, then you could use the 300 lb spring (for the 96, 280 is stock), which would give you just slightly over stock pull, but would be able to sustain 135 ft/lbs torque at 4k rpm.  for reference, the stock spring for the 103 is 340 lbs.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.