Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duel Battery setup  (Read 820 times)

rzrpz7

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Duel Battery setup
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:30 AM »

Hello,
I Have a 2013 Road King CVO. The only Road King made with a stereo system. It came stock with 4 speakers and 200 watt amp. I have up graded the system by installing two more speakers on the enter of the saddlebags and two speakers on a tour pak that I bought. Also added two amps for the extra speakers. The problem is that the battery drains very quickly I am always getting low battery alarm even though the battery is bran new. I am considering installing an extra battery in the tour pak to help power all the extra gadgets I am running. I am also running other items GPS, phone charging, add on lights. Has anyone ever installed a duel battery system on a Harley before? I don't want to short out my electric system but I also don't want to be left stranded with a dead battery. I have heard that police bikes have duel battery systems to help run the siren, radio ect. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: Duel Battery setup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »

Have you thought about upgrading the charging system? Much like an alternator in a car or truck with a system in it, the charging system would benifit from being beefed up if it has not been already.
Maybe http://www.cycleelectricinc.com has something with more juice.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Duel Battery setup
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »

The Road King uses the same battery as the fully loaded CVO Ultra or Limited, and they seem to be able to cope with lots of electrical accessories.  Perhaps your real problem is you have a charging system that is producing less electricity than what the bike is consuming, thus there is nothing left to charge the battery.  It's time to do a full charging system test before trying to create a dual battery system.  If the charging system can't keep one battery charged, it isn't going to keep two batteries charged.

Btw, if you're using any of those accessories while the bike is parked, like some guys who use their bikes as a huge boom box, and that is what's drawing the battery down quickly, then you would need to look at a separate dedicated battery to just run things while the engine is not running.  If you're familiar with camping trailers, a separate battery along with an isolator to prevent draining the tow vehicle battery is often used to run things like lights and a small refrigerator.  That would always be a possibility.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 25 queries.