Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frames & Trailer Hitches  (Read 1747 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Frames & Trailer Hitches
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »

I know that in '09 they changed the frame, swingarm and probably the rear upper frame over the rear wheel along with the down tube rear fender braces etc.  I believe that the down tube area is where most hitches attach to.

Does the '09 frame run up through like '14 and then '15/'16 are different and '17 is different again?

My main concern would be this, would an '09 SERG hitch fit a '16 SESG?

Can someone help me out? 

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Frames & Trailer Hitches
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

I would suggest calling the mfg. of the hitch.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »

I would suggest calling the mfg. of the hitch.

JC, thanks.

I'm planning on making my own trailer hitch and I have an '09 and my neighbor has a '16.  If my hitch would fit his, I could make two at once, but if they're different, I may only make my own and be done with it.

It's going to be a hidden type hitch similar to this.

I have access to our OMAX water jet and we have different thicknesses of SS in stock.  I also have SS wire for my MIG as well as SS rod for my TIG.  I'm not new to fabricating, so other than getting it to fit, it shouldn't be too hard.  Also a few evenings of tinkering on the hitch saves me $300.  Granted, I'll probably have $20 in materials, but as long as I'm having fun designing etc, I'm not counting my time.  It's a hobby and time well spent in my book.

I do see that FBI has the following listed.

With the same years excluding the CVO models per year, I would guess it has something to do with the tail lights and fender filler strips etc.

So more than likely what I design for my '09 will NOT fit his '16.

I should have done more research first, sorry.  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »

Looks like you already got your answer.  I wouldn't have been any help....13 is as high as my experience goes.   :P

You're making that out of SS?  That looks like it's going to be one sturdy hitch!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

I thought I was going to get the SERG up on the lift last night to start looking it over, but with lots of rain and having to move bikes outside to get my Boardtrack off the table lift, I just pooped out and did other stuff.

So tonight I think I'll give it another try.  I'd like to have this thing wrapped up by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for the replies.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »

I have seen Harley and Gold Wings pulling trailers. I have always wondered about the stress on the fender supports and how much tongue weight it had. Seems to me it would make steering very light and adversely affecting handling.
 The other thing that worried me was getting a flat tire on the trailer causing the Rider to lose control and wreck.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »

I'm all new to this and I know lots of guys here have pulled for many years and don't remember hearing that the trailer ever caused problems.

I know last May on Mikeytee's trip to Eureka Springs had an issue with the bike and wobble while pulling his trailer.  It was bike wobble, not trailer wobble and he laid the bike down and the trailer just tagged along without any issue while staying upright.

I think like anything else, when pulling trailers you use a bit more caution in turns and don't cruise at 90 mph.

I'll give it a try to ES in June and see how it goes.  As far as convenience, I don't think you can beat having the trailer on trips like that.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

I have seen Harley and Gold Wings pulling trailers. I have always wondered about the stress on the fender supports and how much tongue weight it had. Seems to me it would make steering very light and adversely affecting handling.
 The other thing that worried me was getting a flat tire on the trailer causing the Rider to lose control and wreck.
Pulled a trailer with my Suzy back in the day before I got into Harleys.  Since my first Harley in '99 I estimate I've logged about 100k pulling a trailer and riding two up fully loaded.  Never experienced any problem whatsoever and yes I've goosed it up close to 90 mph when I've needed to pass and didn't have much time to do so.  Having a trailer tire go flat or worse yet blow out thankfully I've never experienced and unsure how it might affect handling - couldn't be good I imagine but kind of doubt it would necessarily lead to loss of control.

Where I do find pulling a trailer to be a PIA is in stop and go traffic.  The extra weight is noticeable at slow speed and when braking from a slow speed.  Coming to a normal stop from speed less so.  And parking can be a chore and watch out for tight turns at parking lot speed because the trailer will track inside of the motorcycle and could hit something like a post around a gas pump (don't ask me how I know, lol).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:39:15 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

Well the bike is up on the lift table with the bags off and I've done quite a bit of measuring and also done some eBay looking for hitches as well.

I found a Bushtec hitch listed for a '12 FLH Ultra with wiring isolation harness.  The Bushtec for my bike is $399 plus another $100 for the isolation harness etc.

So after spending some time on the bike and what I would have to do to get this done and finding the '12 Bushtec hitch on eBay for $250 starting bid with the isolation harness, I decided to call Bushtec about the possible differences between the two bikes.  All I have to do is to extend the loop back 1" and it's a done deal.  I may have to "replug" the end of the harness, but that's easy enough to do as well.

This morning I bought the Bushtec as no one else bid on it.  Now I'll just do a quick mod when I get it and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:40 AM »

how much tongue weight it had. Seems to me it would make steering very light and adversely affecting handling.
Tongue weight is only 10% to 20% of the total trailer weight.  When I toured with a trailer, I always took more weight than that off the bike by putting only lightweight items in the saddlebags and tour pak; everything heavy was in the trailer.

I had one flat on the trailer while going about 60 mph.  Made the trailer want to weave a bit, which I felt, so I knew a stop was needed---not even minor drama.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »

I've put more weight in and on top of my tour pack when riding without the trailer than the tongue weight of my loaded Bushtec.  And what weight there is on the bike is down low, not up on top, so the center of gravity is still low.  It's just not an issue.

The Bushtec hitch swivels 360 degrees so the bike can be completly upside down and the trailer is still on two wheels.  With the captured ball and heim joint there just isn't any slop when stopping or starting, like there is with a ball and cup style hitch.  The only issue with pulling a trailer, as Jerry and others have mentioned above, is slow speed stop and go is a real PIA.  Stopping distance does increase a bit as common sense would have it.  And from a start to rolling speed it may take you another second or two to get up to the guy riding in front of you that's riding solo.

As for cruising at 90 mph with a loaded trailer......well, I've been accused of that a time or two and others have posted pics on this forum of me passing them at a couple of GTGs.   :nixweiss:

Having said all of that......I have a beautiful 2013 Bushtec Roadstar GT for sale.  This trailer has ever option that was available in 2013 and is for sale for less than half the price it cost new.  The only thing wrong with this trailer is that it will not fit in my toy hauler when I retire and hit the road full time later this year.  Such a bargain......even after you spend $1500 to get it painted to match your bike.   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »

I understand that I'm not going to be hauling a LOT of weight in the trailer, but I too will place heavy stuff in the trailer and relieve my bike of the weight.

I think one of my few upgrades I've done on my SERG is going to be my best friend when towing the trailer.  I have the 30t front belt sprocket installed, down from the higher 32t front drive sprocket.  This made a BIG difference riding two up.

I'm looking forward to see everyone a little over a month.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions, greatly appreciated...  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 01:19:53 PM »

I understand that I'm not going to be hauling a LOT of weight in the trailer, but I too will place heavy stuff in the trailer and relieve my bike of the weight.

I think one of my few upgrades I've done on my SERG is going to be my best friend when towing the trailer.  I have the 30t front belt sprocket installed, down from the higher 32t front drive sprocket.  This made a BIG difference riding two up.

I'm looking forward to see everyone a little over a month.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions, greatly appreciated...  :2vrolijk_21:
:zroflmao: :zroflmao:  That's what we all said......    :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

And speaking of "best friend when towing".......you have no idea....    :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »

Yep, I know exactly what JC meant. :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.