Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Is nitrogen a good idea?  (Read 4965 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Is nitrogen a good idea?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

Oh no ! Gas tank catalyst. Take'em out, and use them on the boat instead of zincs.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:51:51 PM by johnsachs »

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

I couldn't read through all of the comments... but according to my mechanic and my Chevy dealer (Silverado and Camaro), about the only 'Real' benefit is that the 99% Nitrogen filled tires do not cause the Tire Pressure Indicators to fail as often.  Less oxygen... less condensation inside the tire... less corrosion to the TPI device.

I have not noticed any mpg gains.  Other than the loss of pressure due to extreme temperature changes being more consistent... say -1psi per 10° below Cold Temp setting being established.  While the Air filled tires were best guess, and when our temperatures hit -40°F and colder, the tires would develop flat spots due to the loss of pressure.

At some point you will find yourself needing to 'add' air if you ride in early Spring and Late Fall... or even in the Winter for some of you... and it's not likely that you'll have a Nitrogen fill station at your house, but keeping the tires at proper psi with the Nitrogen is more easily manageable.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »

So.... if I understand all this correctly there really is a benefit to filling the tires with nitrogen.  If I'm visiting friends on the east coast and ride off the Bay Bridge when the bike is quickly pulled up from the bottom of the bay the tires won't get the bends?

Bawaahahaahaaaaa!  Gawd damn I love sarcasm!  That is some funny chit!!! :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber:
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

MC16LTD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited (FLHTKSE)
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »

Wife's new CX-5 came with Nitrogen in the tires, it is a new way for dealers to make a quick buck.  That aside here is what we found, nitrogen still depletes like regular compressed air in the tire although not as quickly, you end up topping off with compressed air when tire pressure drops because you will never find anywhere to top off your tire.  Most dealers will only service "their" customers vehicles and even Costco that sells tires with nitrogen won't top off (haven't found one yet).  So the nutshell is you pay lots for something that leaves you running plain old air in the end.  Not worth the cost to me.
2016 CVO Limited Palladium Silver & Phantom Blu, Fullsac DX w/2" Power Cores and Sleeves, SERT, Wild1's 10" mini-apes, HogTrough drink holder for those hot or cold days.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

Interesting bit about Costco. Our Costco down the street lets you drive right up and top off.  Found this out after the girl got her tires from Costo.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

Completed the finishing touches on a new tour pak for my Road King last week.  Took it out to christen it for a few hundred miles on Sunday.  As I finished the tour pak I mounted a tire valve sticking out the side of it so could fill the tour pak with nitrogen too.  Immediately (even before leaving the parking lot) got three more miles per gallon and a 35 year old babe walked up and said, "Oooh, your using nitrogen?  That's hot.  Do me here.  Right now.  Please sir, please."

Nitrogen is some amazing chit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:06:27 PM by Twolanerider »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

Haha that had me rollin

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

Nitrogen groupies are air heads.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.