Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 1416 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Insurance question
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »

so the wife and i are going to be in san diego and are thinking of traveling down into mexico for a day.  do we need to get mexican insurance?  is it expensive?  is it better to get it from someplace at the border?  checked online and what i am seeing is that there is only a couple of companies that sell liability/comp/collision and was quoted about $60 for the wife's 2012 fltrxs.

seems kinda steep to just drop down into mexico for a couple of hours, just wondering what the rest of y'all do.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »

Depending on your existing policy, if you're not going deeper than 50-100 miles into MX you might not need it. However, there is a big BUT attached to that - that doesn't fulfill Mexico's requirement. So if your bike gets stolen you're okay/covered but if you get into an accident, that's a problemo. I've used Sanborns in the past.

Also if you're going through all the trouble to get into MX, if you wait to do that until you're headed home, 2D east has a really nice twisty section on it. Then you just take 2 and pop up into AZ (don't cross in Mexicali) around Sonoyta it's a lot easier than the Yuma crossing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:06:03 PM by coloradotom »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

DEFINITELY call your current carrier and buy the Mexican rider for the bike, pretty cheap and a must do unless you can afford to write your bike off. The horror stories will curl your hair. And if you are going very far, contact you medical carrier for some help and guidance, I have only second hand stories, not actual facts on the health insurance but I would not chance it. The air ambulance insurance is also a good idea if you can find a carrier to cover that part of the world. Air ambulance a must if riding a motorcycle in Mexico, YOU WANT TO COME HOME if injured.
No matter what any of these cost, they are a must if you are injured, bike is not rideable etc. Do not chance this, it can break you.
Also I never heard you could buy Mexican insurance coverage at the border, maybe you can, But who would want to chance this. Everyone thinks dealing with an adjustor for a major company is a problem. This has the potential to give you a heart attack.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »

Better off getting a gun...
Bill

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »

umm, yeah, remember that marine who got caught with a gun at the border?  no thanks, I've got to be at work a week after.   :2vrolijk_21:

mark

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:28 PM »

As a fed agent for 25 plus yrs - I'd never go into Mexico under current conditions.  The Marines aren't coming if things go south.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 03:21:58 AM »

As a fed agent for 25 plus yrs - I'd never go into Mexico under current conditions.  The Marines aren't coming if things go south.

x2

Lots of great riding in the USA....plus your license plate lets everyone know that your not local.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:25:36 AM »

wasn't planning on going very far or deep.  we are going to be in san diego and just thought it would be cool to go over the border just to say that we did it and to experience just a little of the 'local' culture.  though, admittedly, if we were within 5 miles of the border, it would still be pretty 'americanized'....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »

Years ago we used to do just that, and a lot of people still do.  Last few trips near the Mexican border we have not gone across.  Border situation in Mexico is unpleasant - an understatement.   Darn shame, used to enjoy going across to eat, drink, and be merry (legally) plus buy crap in the mercado (market). Back then insurance was not a problem - mine covered short ventures into the country.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »

wasn't planning on going very far or deep.  we are going to be in san diego and just thought it would be cool to go over the border just to say that we did it and to experience just a little of the 'local' culture.  though, admittedly, if we were within 5 miles of the border, it would still be pretty 'americanized'....

Yeah that is a bit different. But for safety concerns I would not hesitate to go back to Mexico. There are places I wouldn't go to for sure, but heck the murder rates in St Louis and Baltimore are higher than Tijuana, and folks don't avoid Illinois because of Chicago. There are bad places everywhere and people seem to forget that when it comes to the states.

I've also been there a few times and I've also been, by motorcycle, to a lot of other countries. You definitely need to be a bit more aware and know what and where to avoid - this means do your homework. If I was going now I would not cross over via any border town, I'd pick a crossing somewhere in the middle of nowhere and then hall ass south away from the border states.

That said, if you're just going into a border town to say you did, pass on that. You won't really get any authentic local culture anyway.

PS - If you want to be adventurous and feel a bit safer at the same time, the first week of every April is when Semana de Moto (bike week) is going on in Mazatlan and there are thousands and thousands of bikes getting there. It's their Sturgis.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 25 queries.