Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CB  (Read 1537 times)

anzac

• Full CVO Member
CB
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »

Is there anything you can do to make the CB more powerful, I don't mean change the CB but would a different aerial or something like that help or is it just a waste of money

Thanks for any advice

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: CB
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Basically, there isn't much you can do without spending a lot of cash. The biggest problem with them is that it only has the small support plate in the bottom of the tourpak to use for the necessary ground plane needed. More ground plane equals more distance.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

anzac

• Full CVO Member
Re: CB king
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »

Thank you very much

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »

Do you have the squelch adjusted properly? That can affect the reception of your CB going down the road.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »

What is your current range and SWR? And what do you want it to be?

You do know a CB is line of sight right?

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »

Thank you for all your replies, I'm with a group Run for the Wall and we communicate using the CBS, but sometimes I can only hear a group in front or behind when I really need to hear more, the pack is about two miles long, I'm not sure what swr is.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »

It's a meter made to help you tune your antenna to your Cb. They ar not tuned from HD.  I bought mine at radio schack years ago, they are of course gone, but you can pick one up on Amazon.

I would start to make sure all the antenna connections are tight especially back around the tourpack. If one is loose that could be your issue.

Thank you for all your replies, I'm with a group Run for the Wall and we communicate using the CBS, but sometimes I can only hear a group in front or behind when I really need to hear more, the pack is about two miles long, I'm not sure what swr is.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »

The comment above regarding adjusting your squelch level is a must as well. If it's to high you will receive very little.

I would start with squelch adjustment and if that don't help check all your antenna connections.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »

Not sure how SWR can be adjusted as the late models have an antenna that screws on. How can one adjust the antenna length?  On the older models with the very long antenna they just fit into an opening and held with a set screw. They could be cut to shorten and possibly raised a tad to lengthen. But not these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »

You guys really use a cb radio?  ???

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »

You bet.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »

You have to adjust the length of the antenna, that obviously only goes one way so in some cases you have to swap out the antenna.

Not sure how SWR can be adjusted as the late models have an antenna that screws on. How can one adjust the antenna length?  On the older models with the very long antenna they just fit into an opening and held with a set screw. They could be cut to shorten and possibly raised a tad to lengthen. But not these.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »

I have a cb antenna. . Just for show tho.  ::)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »

Not sure how SWR can be adjusted as the late models have an antenna that screws on
Some of the antennas have the actual antenna wire wrapped around a fiberglass pole, then covered with a rubber-like material.  These can be "tuned" for SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) by pulling some of the wire out the top and cutting it off--a little (1/8") at a time.  This only works if the antenna is too short.

How to tell if you need to lengthen or shorten the antenna?  Procedure below:

How to tune the CB antenna
1.  Turn your CB off and disconnect the antenna coax cable from the back of it.
2.  Connect the end of your antenna coax to the SWR meter where it indicates "antenna." The connector inputs could be on the back and the labels on the front of the meter.
3.  Connect the short coax jumper cable coming from the transmitter position on the SWR meter to the back of the CB where you took off the coax cable in step 1.
4.  (For a car: Close the hood and doors on your vehicle) and make sure there are no people around the vehicle area.
5.  Turn on the CB.
6.  Set the CB to channel 1.
7.  Set the SWR meter to the FWD position.
8.  Key the microphone by depressing the talk button and turn knob until the SWR meter indicates the "set" position. Unkey the microphone by letting up on the talk button.
9.  Flip the SWR meter to the "reflect" position.
10. Key the microphone and look at the reading on the SWR meter. The lower the reading, the better. If the meter reading is in the red zone, DO NOT operate the CB. Recheck your connections.
Turn CB to channel 40. Follow instructions 7-10 again.

How to adjust your antenna by matching the channel 40 bandwidth
1.  If the reading on channel 1 is higher than the reading on channel 40, you need to lengthen your antenna. Alternately, if the reading on 40 is higher, your antenna is too long.
2.  If the meter reading on channel 1 is 1.2 and the reading on channel 40 is 2.3, you'll need to shorten the antenna to get better efficiency. You can do that by turning the tuning tip or the adjusting ring, or you can take the antenna mast out and trim it about 1/4 inch, and place it back firmly against the coil. Remember, it's easier to cut a little more off the antenna than to have to add some length (remember the barber who cut your hair too short?)
3.  If your reading is 2.6 on channel 1 and 1.3 on channel 40, your antenna is too short. The solutions are to add a spring, raise the antenna, or reposition the antenna.
4.  If any adjustments are needed, they should be made in small increments. Re-check after each adjustment. Be sure to have all components on the antenna when testing, including the tip if there is one.

Once you've completed these steps, you can remove the SWR meter from the line--or you could leave it installed for doing periodic checks of your equipment. If space is limited in your vehicle, detach the meter from your radio, with the security of knowing that it would be easy to hook the meter up again now that you know how.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »

I bet that no matter where you live there is an old guy who is very knowledgeable on CB setup and use. If someone is using a CB that doesn't know about squelch or swr they could benefit from asking a local older trucker who the guru in the area is and going down a long gravel,  tree lined, overgrown driveway to his house and he will smoke a cigarette while helping set your swr while telling you about talking 200 miles on skip in 1975. Or not. Maybe I am the only one who knows him.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.