Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Build Questions  (Read 2800 times)

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

Engine Build Questions
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »

I have a 2014 Limited CVO with a SE585 cam.  The dealer tech installed 1.75 SE Rocker Arms, original equipment length perfect fit push rods, even though the SE catalog calls for the +.030 with the SE 585.   He said the springs are fine, but I am wondering now if they are enough since the 1.75's bring the lift to around .630.  What are your thoughts?  I am getting TB noise from my 0.58TB and some top end noise, especially at 2300 to 2500 RPMs.  Should I go with stronger valve springs and adjustable push rods?

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
Re: Engine Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

Had S&S lifters installed but kept stock push rods for a SE585 cam upgrade in my 15 RGU.  Did not change TB.  Dealer was 50/50 on push rods--adjustable or not--but felt no need to change springs.  TB fluttering is quite pronounced at idle and 3000 RPM.  Even though I love the improved performance, I'm alarmed by the ticking coming from the front left side of the motor and the TB noise.  I installed RockerLockers but that didn't result in any noticeable improvement.

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »

Thanks LPREZ.  Did you go from 1.65:1 to 1.725:1 ratio Rocker Arms?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »

The combo of parts is causing the problem.  The cams have fast ramps, add the high ratio rockers along with the flat coil damper springs and you get what you have. I changed out that cam to an Andrews 54 on mine, hated the tb noise (reversion) at idle. Quiet and runs good now.

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Thanks HD Performance!  Would you suggest I go to the 1.725 roller rocker arms and the adjustable pushrods on this application?  I have talked with an engine builder and he said that without the rollers, it will wear out components due to side load.  I'm told by Harley Dealer the springs that come OE on the CVO 110 is sufficient for up to .660 lift.  Is that not true?

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »

.660? 

Never heard that hi but not an expert on this subject.
Will

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »

Thanks HD Performance!  Would you suggest I go to the 1.725 roller rocker arms and the adjustable pushrods on this application?  I have talked with an engine builder and he said that without the rollers, it will wear out components due to side load.  I'm told by Harley Dealer the springs that come OE on the CVO 110 is sufficient for up to .660 lift.  Is that not true?
[/quote
Go to stock rockers, valve noise will be slightly less. Different lifters, another small improvement.  Change the cam biggest single change which will address the tb clack to a certain extent too. Use adjustable pushrods, 18404-08 regardless.

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

Thanks again HD!  The tech was shooting for durability and longevity so in order to change the geometry of the drive train he installed the higher ratio rocker arms.  The SE catalog says the CVO OEM valve springs will work with the SE585, I can live with the TB noise as it's common with the fly-by-wire TB on late model bikes with this particular cam, but my concern is that the rocker arms have physically created a higher lift than .585.  I just went to the SE Tappets and I liked the cam before this latest mod.  Harley is telling me that there are no heavy duty valve springs that they make for the CVO 110 other than what is factory.  Why do you suggest the adjustable rods over perfect fit?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:58:53 PM by drjohn »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »

I have a 2014 Limited CVO with a SE585 cam.  The dealer tech installed 1.75 SE Rocker Arms, original equipment length perfect fit push rods, even though the SE catalog calls for the +.030 with the SE 585.   He said the springs are fine, but I am wondering now if they are enough since the 1.75's bring the lift to around .630.  What are your thoughts?  I am getting TB noise from my 0.58TB and some top end noise, especially at 2300 to 2500 RPMs.  Should I go with stronger valve springs and adjustable push rods?

install AV&V .650" springs & adjustable p.rods (S&S would be my choice)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »

Won't be any more of those used by my shop.
This is the second set that have failed. All the others are 15lbs down from new in <20k miles.
I will be using conicals and beehives from PAC racing, the RPM series premium parts.

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input.  I had the dealer pick up my bike to have valve springs installed that fit the build and it appears to be the 0.650 lift springs.  I don't know why it's so difficult for a Harley tech to figure out the spring load necessary on a build they put together?  The parts department at several dealerships I called gave me different spring lift tolerances for the stock CVO?????  But I will take your word for it along with Aaron Wilson at Hammer Performance and Bob Wood that this valve spring will not work with the build.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »

Dealers are not machine shops, unfortunately they are mostly just parts changers.
I just finished a set of cvo heads and used some X series PAC springs, 140# seat 380# @.600 lift. Coil bind at .720
Will run quiet and long and postpone lifter issues.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:10:39 PM by HD Street Performance »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »

Won't be any more of those used by my shop.
This is the second set that have failed. All the others are 15lbs down from new in <20k miles.
I will be using conicals and beehives from PAC racing, the RPM series premium parts.

AV&V`s ?,never had any fail (that has been reported back to us) but I will look into the PAC beehive springs (we`re a PAC dealer & use nothing else on the race motors)

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 25 queries.