Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ???? It's back  (Read 3173 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: ???? It's back
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »

What I think is puzzling is that the clutch hub has what appears to be around 3/8" to 1/2" of the splines sheared off.

To do that I would have to think that the main shaft stopped at that point and there wasn't any further engagement of the shaft and clutch hub.

How far into the clutch hub does the main shaft go?  I can't believe that with the length of splines on both the clutch hub and the main shaft that there's only that short length of engagement.

I would have to assume it's further in than just the worn off splines.  So how does just a short distance of splines get worn when the shaft goes in further than the worn off section?

I may be missing something or I'm miss reading the pictures.

Thanks and I'm glad you found the problem.

I agree on the oil hole, counter sink the top side and that cannot hurt a thing.

I agree with Dan, I too was puzzled that the splines only degraded at the first 3/8-1/2 inch (the same distance as my '05 SEEG) when the spline engagement is much longer,,, I asked one of the long time Techs that was familiar with this issue the same question? "That's where the most torque is applied"

Surely the splines would continue to degrade all the way throughout the engagement if not discovered when we pulled the Clutch for other reasons?? In my case to upgrade the Charging System, In longlast's case, chasing other primary issues...

There were no symptoms or noises associated with the Primary / Clutch on the '05 SEEG... The Mainshaft Bearing was fine,,, the '05 has the OE Manual Tensioner...

My '05 has been "abused" more than any of my current HDs,, seen a couple of epic burnouts, and many speed shifts over the years,,, but to my recollection, never locked up the rear wheel without the clutch lever being pulled in, stalling the motor...

Always ran Formula+ in the '05 (61k on Bike now) Primary having the Dealer change at factory recommended intervals,,, Since I started performing more of the maintenance myself, and observing the conditions of the fluids (particularly my '09) I change the Primary more often, usually at every Oil Change, around 3 to 4k miles...

The "funnel effect" of countersinking the oil feed passage sounds like a good idea to me... 

longlast, not only are you saving a few Quid,,, You know the job is proper :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »

What I think is puzzling is that the clutch hub has what appears to be around 3/8" to 1/2" of the splines sheared off.

To do that I would have to think that the main shaft stopped at that point and there wasn't any further engagement of the shaft and clutch hub.

How far into the clutch hub does the main shaft go?  I can't believe that with the length of splines on both the clutch hub and the main shaft that there's only that short length of engagement.

I would have to assume it's further in than just the worn off splines.  So how does just a short distance of splines get worn when the shaft goes in further than the worn off section?

I may be missing something or I'm miss reading the pictures.

Thanks and I'm glad you found the problem.

I agree on the oil hole, counter sink the top side and that cannot hurt a thing.

I agree with Dan, I too was puzzled that the splines only degraded at the first 3/8-1/2 inch (the same distance as my '05 SEEG) when the spline engagement is much longer,,, I asked one of the long time Techs that was familiar with this issue the same question? "That's where the most torque is applied"

Surely the splines would continue to degrade all the way throughout the engagement if not discovered when we pulled the Clutch for other reasons?? In my case to upgrade the Charging System, In longlast's case, chasing other primary issues...

There were no symptoms or noises associated with the Primary / Clutch on the '05 SEEG... The Mainshaft Bearing was fine,,, the '05 has the OE Manual Tensioner...

My '05 has been "abused" more than any of my current HDs,, seen a couple of epic burnouts, and many speed shifts over the years,,, but to my recollection, never locked up the rear wheel without the clutch lever being pulled in, stalling the motor...

Always ran Formula+ in the '05 (61k on Bike now) Primary having the Dealer change at factory recommended intervals,,, Since I started performing more of the maintenance myself, and observing the conditions of the fluids (particularly my '09) I change the Primary more often, usually at every Oil Change, around 3 to 4k miles...

The "funnel effect" of countersinking the oil feed passage sounds like a good idea to me... 

longlast, not only are you saving a few Quid,,, You know the job is proper :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:   

I agree with both statements.
I've been trying too sort out why all the inner ends of the splines failed and I've come up with two possible scenarios.
First being do to the primary chain being too tight and seeing as the sprocket is at the inner end of the splines and not central to the hub and shaft splines it could be possible that the load was greater at the end of the hub splines but not completely happy with the thought.

Second senatorial that makes more sense,... l noticed that the inner bearing race (that is a pressure fitted race) was installed mm or two to far on to the main shaft, far enough that I couldn't get in behind the race to pull it off,... I had to grind it down until it cracked from the compression load of it being pressed on,.. in turn it looks like the hub splines serpass end of the shaft splines by a fraction.
From what I can tell the bearing race aces as the end stop that determines the positioning of hub and clutch assembly on the shaft splines.
By the race being too far on to the shaft that will allow the end of the hub to bottom up to the chamfer of the shaft.
In the same regard if the race is sitting proud ( not on far enough) then you could have clutch disengagement issues. That could be over come with a cable clutch but not with a hydraulic as there's no adjustment.
At the end of the day,...The bearing race play's a role determining the positioning of clutch hub on the shaft and how far out and in the clutch assembly is located.
Another sign that the inner race was installed to far in was the failure points on the race and bearing being on the outside edge suggesting that the bearing pressure points where higher at the end of the race and bearing. When a load is distributed evenly on a roller bearing and it fails the degrade of the roller runs the length of the roller not only at the end of all the rollers
It's the bearing race that the clutch assembly torque's up against. So when you install a new race it must be positioned correctly or you could have issues.
That's my analysis of what's gone on if I've made sense.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Go with the "Baker"  inner primary bearing kit, it saves all the worry, about the inner race moving under stress!!
Got mine on Ebay!!!!
WHUFC   COYI

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

baker makes a bearing to solve this whole issue

its not much money

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:45:31 AM »

Done and dusted

Primary all back together. Started around 1pm and finished up at 9:30pm on Saturday
Went for a test ride yesterday (Sunday) no issues it was like having a new bike.
Zero primary noise, no shifting noise, smoother shifting.
Neutral to first engagement clunking noise minimal.

Thanks guys for your help and input.  :2vrolijk_21:

BTW. A error was resolved that the inner primary case bearing race does not "at least not on my 07 ultra" position the clutch hub on main shaft as I had previously thought and stated . Thanks to a discussion in DCFIREMANN'S
Post.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:03:39 AM by longlast »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.