Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: High speed wobble.......ain't nothing to play with......  (Read 5584 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: High speed wobble.......ain't nothing to play with......
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »

what was the backstory with your situation?  did you figure out what caused it?  hope you didn't get injured too badly when you bailed, glad that you're here with us.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 07:49:57 AM »

:-\
I've had it happen one time on a Harley,  and I believe it occurred due to braking excessive speed and going into a curve at the same time.  Getting off of the brakes is mandatory and that itself will allow a little extra speed.  Thus,  I believe (maintaining "even" throttle is "key")..........Don't add throttle but also don't cut throttle............Let the bars swing as they will and it should moderate and cease to be a problem. :P

If you do a few retakes of the video shown,  it sure looks to me like he must have nailed the rear brakes for it to do a 180 turnaround as quickly as it did when it threw him off. :oops:

Rear brake would explain the 360.  Your suggestion is close to how my wobble worked out.

Had this happen a couple of times on my 07.  Both at 100+ mph. First time could feel some front end vibration/unsteadiness shortly before the wobble started. The first one was at about 110 with wind, maintained throttle (tried less (bad) then more but was still getting worse) decided to just let the bike settled down - loose grip on bars.  Other time no quick decel and it was shorter duration.  Solved it by staying under 100 and then trading the damn bike.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

I have a Tru Track brace on my Road Glide and thought that would cure the problem. It did until last year pulling my trailer out to Eureka Springs in May. Not to the NMITM GTG but in 2016. I went into the tank slapping death wobble and pulled her down to the low side and rode her out sliding 350 feet, which saved my a$$. I was able to resume the trip after a trip to Bumpass HD in Jackson, Tn. Cupped rear tire and loose trailer hitch was the culprit but the death wobble was the same. Quick thinking and past training saved me from injury and a certain trip to the hospital. It wasn't until the next day that I fully realized what could have been and that made me a bit nervous. It all happened so quick at 70 mph.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »

I have a Tru Track brace on my Road Glide and thought that would cure the problem. It did until last year pulling my trailer out to Eureka Springs in May. Not to the NMITM GTG but in 2016. I went into the tank slapping death wobble and pulled her down to the low side and rode her out sliding 350 feet, which saved my a$$. I was able to resume the trip after a trip to Bumpass HD in Jackson, Tn. Cupped rear tire and loose trailer hitch was the culprit but the death wobble was the same. Quick thinking and past training saved me from injury and a certain trip to the hospital. It wasn't until the next day that I fully realized what could have been and that made me a bit nervous. It all happened so quick at 70 mph.
Mike

:-\ While I'm quite sure you and others that pull a trailer occassionally have done so without issues (most times),  I'm skeptical of using a trailer behind a bike as the wrong (tongue weight factor) or other issues such as you mentioned can and many times will create a disaster in a heart beat.  I witnessed that scenario many years ago on my return trip to N. Carolina from Milwaukee after the 100 year anniversary back in 2003 as I recall.

I came over a rise on the interstate into stopped traffic and saw a upside down Harley at the side of the road with the wheels still spinning and a trailer still attached.  The rider was semi-concious in the middle of the road........He had no clue as to what had just happened.  I spoke with the car driver that was following him and he said that (all of a sudden),  the trailer started swaying back and forth and that it just threw the rider right off..........

:nixweiss:

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

:-\ While I'm quite sure you and others that pull a trailer occassionally have done so without issues (most times),  I'm skeptical of using a trailer behind a bike as the wrong (tongue weight factor) or other issues such as you mentioned can and many times will create a disaster in a heart beat.  I witnessed that scenario many years ago on my return trip to N. Carolina from Milwaukee after the 100 year anniversary back in 2003 as I recall.

I came over a rise on the interstate into stopped traffic and saw a upside down Harley at the side of the road with the wheels still spinning and a trailer still attached.  The rider was semi-concious in the middle of the road........He had no clue as to what had just happened.  I spoke with the car driver that was following him and he said that (all of a sudden),  the trailer started swaying back and forth and that it just threw the rider right off..........

:nixweiss:

I've seen incorrectly loaded 12 ft trailers throw a 40 ft diesel pusher motor home off the road and upside down. Incorrectly loaded trailer can ruin any trip.  I had it almost happen to me with a loaded 26 ft enclosed trailer behind a 2500 pickup.  I barely kept it on a 4 lane highway.  Stopped, moved the car 2 ft forward, pulled like a dream.  I'll never pull a trailer behind the bike.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »

I've seen incorrectly loaded 12 ft trailers throw a 40 ft diesel pusher motor home off the road and upside down. Incorrectly loaded trailer can ruin any trip.  I had it almost happen to me with a loaded 26 ft enclosed trailer behind a 2500 pickup.  I barely kept it on a 4 lane highway.  Stopped, moved the car 2 ft forward, pulled like a dream.  I'll never pull a trailer behind the bike.

The trailer was loaded correctly and my problem stemmed from owner and rider error. Bad rear tire and loose coupler nut on wet pavement made for an almost  disaster. I now double check both the bike and trailer tires. wiring, coupler and weight distribution. I still tow that same trailer behind the same bike, I just pay more attention to detail.

I have seen what an incorrectly loaded trailer behind a car, truck, and motorhome can do and it is not pretty. Behind a bike is deadly.
That is known in these parts as the tail wagging the dog.

Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 04:07:18 AM »

Only had 1 genuine tank slapper where I was accelerating very gently and the bike moved around so violently that the tank slapped my knees hard enough to bring my feet off the footrests.  This was in the mid 80s on a 72 Norton Commando that I'd just bought.  When the tank slapper hit I (thankfully) remembered advice from my dad and gave it a load of throttle.

I then went back home and tightened up the adjusters on the isolastic mountings - the bike had a brilliant motor but the guy I bought it from had no idea on how to set the isolastic rubber engine mounts and they were way too loose. So I tightened them up and used the tighter tolerances that the cops and racers used on their Commandos (6 thou?).  Bike was on rails after that with only a minor increase in vibration.   

One big advantage of the Norton rubber mounts over HD's implementation is that Norton provided a means of adjustment.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.