Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Second Trip and Two more Blown Saddle Bag Speakers  (Read 1401 times)

pooj10

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Street Glide (Stage IV)
    • CVO3: BMW K1600B
Second Trip and Two more Blown Saddle Bag Speakers
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »

Well during this years 5K trip out west this we hit rain in South Dakota not long after the rain the right rear saddle bag woofer stopped functioning and the left continued to work. Later the same day we hit rain again and guess what the left rear saddle bag woofer stopped functioning. After loosing a rear speaker last rear I have kept one on hand in case of another failure. I swapped one out and everything seems to be functioning fine. I looked for DTC on the boom audio and nothing logged, I have checked pins for moisture and nothing. Are the crossover circuits getting wet and causing this or the product quality just not it check? Any ideas? I have an appointment at the dealer Saturday.

SteveVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Re: Second Trip and Two more Blown Saddle Bag Speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:23:37 AM »

When I first picked up the bike (15 CVO SG) I went through 3 Right rear speakers, till they checked the harness I had a couple of pins crossed somewhere in one of the connectors. Once they sorted that out I have not had an issue. Not sure if the rain is adding to your problem or highlighting a different issue.

Hope you get it sorted, let us know what the outcome is.     
Nothing exceeds like excess!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:16 AM »

to add insult to injury, the esp does not cover speakers, only the hu and the amp.  I lost the right fairing speaker on mine and have since taken the stock boom system out of the fairing and replaced with an aftermarket amp and speakers.  unfortunately, still running the stock amp and saddlebag speakers (for right now)
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »

Audio has been a hobby for me since the 70's.  Most of the time speakers are blown from distortion not over power. Human hearing in Non Linear. It takes 10 times the power for a sound to be twice as loud. If your listening to music at 10 watts RMS and a instantaneous peak comes the speakers demands 10 times the power, the amp can't deliver,  the signal is clipped.  Basically a straight DC voltage that kills the speakers. That's as simple as I can explain it without getting into the Math.

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »

I had a speaker go out on my trip this past weekend.  Talked to the dealer about it, and he said that they have had a ton of speaker issues and that he mentioned HD starting the process to recall them. Said that they have had so many issues that they are now back ordered until late October. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.