Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine noise rant/vent  (Read 1583 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
Engine noise rant/vent
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »

I have about had my fill with HD.
I have been chasing engine noise for a while and am about to give up. Early spring I changed lifters to S&S premiums and when I did I had one lifter that took a while to pump up and when they did I was not impressed at my result. Well I thought it will get better. Now after a few 1000 miles every time I start it rattles and quiets down a bit. So I started paying close attention to other bikes and they are nice and quiet. I put on new comp along with the compusaver and rocker locks but I don't know if it's a bad lifter or adjustment. I'm about to switch brands.

So here is more info.
I am not a hard rider.
I did 32 flat for adjustment
High flow air cleaner
Thundercone mufflers
2014 liquid cooled heads

I'm  just tired of listening to the cladder. I respect the fact that I will hear engine noise but not this.

Oh and while I am on a rant there is another thing is it just me or why will it not drive slow with out jerking and surging.

Anyway I ready to throw in the towel.

Thanx for letting me rant.
Bob
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:51:12 AM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Engine noise rant/vent
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Bob, Did you go through the rocker boxes when dismantling for lifters? Some noises can be from there, witness marks on rocker stand bolts is one. I suppose you could have gotten a bad lifter, anything mechanical is suspect theses days. Have you done a camchest inspection? Camchain tensioner sometimes  :nixweiss:.
Maybe a listen with a mechanics stethoscope will help pinpoint the noise.

I'm just a DIY'er that has learned the hardway myself.

Good Luck

TN

As far as the slow speed riding you describe I would suspect the tune. At the least the throttle blade control tables.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:00:57 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

drjohn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »

I feel the pain, of the OP, specifically in my ears.  However, if you own a Harley Davidson you must understand that the bike has valve train chatter.  I started with a Honda VTX 1300 and it was quiet, but it wasn't a HD.  Harley's are a snowflake, each one is different.  I have a 2014 Ultra Limited CVO and it is much different (better) than my Honda.  When I first bought it new, it was relatively quiet, but not as quiet as my Honda.  However, the valve train chatter is noticeably louder now, especially after changing the cam to a SE585 and every other component from the SE high capacity oil pan to the SE rocker arm to SE parts.  If you begin to see abnormal oil consumption or your fuel mileage has changed considerably, then you should take notice. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

Harley's are a snowflake, each one is different.

I'm saving that line to steal and use sometime later when I need to come up with a wonderfully nice way to say someone has significantly imprecise manufacturing  :huepfenlol2: .

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »

Big engines make noise.  Camshafts with more aggressive ramps and higher lift are prone to noise.  With that said it is possible to get a bad lifter.  For $100 and an hour or so of your time that question can be answered.  I always try to hear for a change in sound. 

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »

Yes I understand engine noise we all no are sounds and we have all said at one time or another.... " what the he'll was that noise". I am ok with the typical HD sounds it's those
....wtf was that and what's doing that sound that gets to me....lol. if I can iclelate which one I would replace it. Engine is stock no cams.......for now....lol. S&S lifters are pricey up here in Canada.

Btw THANX for the feedback guyz...eh.
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »

I solved the noisey top end on mine finally! I did several things so im not sure which one was the most help.
Beehive springs and a quality valve job
Se one piece pushrods
S&s premium lifters
S&s rockers and shaft
SE rocker support plate
Shimmed the rockers
Used the rocker lockers
Assembled carefully
I did have some piston problems and that also may have contributed to the noise. What sounds like a lifter or the top end can really be something else and you wind up chasing the wrong problem. Ive got it good and hot and it still stays pretty quiet.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.