Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Navigation Preference settings  (Read 2672 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Navigation Preference settings
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »

Harley's navigation system (and I would think the entire infotainment system) is by Harman International. www.harman.com. Scroll down and see the Partners section. It includes Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Fiat, Mercedes Benz, Toyota, VW and Harley-Davidson.

So perhaps not the cheapest but the fact that these other automakers use it also doesn't mean it is suitable to our needs. I think the mindset for it is just enter a destination and go. Highly doubt that the development engineers gave much of any thought or have an interest in how we use a GPS. Compared to the volume of these automakers H-D is small potatoes I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:49:10 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Navigation Preference settings
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »

Built in car navigation systems are ok for "Point A to Point C via Point B" type stuff.  Over the years including rent cars have tried more than a few. Never tried routing a 150-200 mile long multi road changing twisty route on one, doubt that would be any better than the I-taint.  Harry's routes at MITM worked fine.  The I-taint read them ok and got us where we needed to be with no problems.  The I-taint system yakked more than some about stuff, have had car systems do similar at times when on smaller less used roads.  Was pleased with the results getting from here to there on unfamiliar roads, did not get screwed up once - thanks to Harry's dedication and efforts. To me that says: If somebody take's the time and works with the system and explore other map making solutions that work - like Harry did with MYROUTE - clunky junk can be made workable. 

Have had 2 Garmins owned and operated.  Including the replacement unit troubles I had with 660s, I had actually 6 because Garmin sent me 3 that were junk as replacements for the junk unit I already had until HD agreed to give me a New-in-Box one that worked.  And by "worked" I mean the Garmins only froze up about once every month or 2 usually at the very worst possible time, maybe worked ok 80-90 % of the time, and Zumo bitch Jill was a real bitch the other 10-20% of the time.  Spending more money for a Garmin does not appeal to me, their "customer service" from my experience was worse than anything I have ever had from HD.  Troubles ranged from MP3s that worked fine for months, then - no sound.  The dreaded "black screen" of nothingness.  The "Frozen Here" screen where nothing worked.  Removing the battery & hitting the reset button usually fixed these issues.  Ridiculous IMHO.

Infortainment screen GPS is the weak link for the newer bikes.  Was not a deal breaker for me, knew that going in.  If I had better experience with Garmin, might consider mounting one, is still a long shot consideration but not likely.  The radio and the USB MP3s and all the rest work ok on the I-taint and the hand controls work ok after getting used to them.  If HD GAS they would fix the online Ride Planner that they make noise about being so great all over the place and actually make it WORKABLE with their GPS I-taint.  Since HD so far does not GAS, do not see that happening.  Would require a purchase of compatible map making software that communicated multi waypoint maps to their I-taint system.  Seems like somebody at HD would have thought that would have been a good idea. Except nobody thought about it or if they did they could not get a budget approved for it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:09:28 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »

I have actually had pretty good luck with the GPS and the HD Road Trip planner.  Just had to figure out some of the minor details to get it to work.  It splits the trip up into different destinations from A to B.  So when you select your "Trip" from the Nav menu, you have to pick which destination you want. In order to make that a little simpler, you can rename them, as they just label them as the full Trip name and then put them in chronological order according to your destinations. Note it will put 1 then jump to 10, 11, etc if you have that many destinations, before it displays 2,3 etc.  So relabeling is a pain and something that Ride Planner along with the import should better coordinate.

Once you select your A to B, then you can insert waypoints along whatever routes you want to take and it will have you follow accordingly.  I just finished mapping out a 1200 mile run from MN around Lake Michigan and it worked flawlessly. 
I just mapped out a route around Lake Superior, not that there was much mapping to do around the entire north end, but were going to be picking up a bunch of nice roads in the UP from Sault Ste. Marie to Copper Harbor and then down to Howard.  I just put each hotel as the destination and then inserted the waypoints for all of the roads I wanted to hit. 

Leaving on Friday, so I could report back after the trip. But I don't expect many issues.

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »

Trip went well, except for one road that the pavement ended due to construction!  But there's no fault in the GPS for that one.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.