Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help - Motor build time  (Read 1427 times)

epzager

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

Help - Motor build time
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »

There are some very knowledgeable people on here, and I'm hoping for help/ideas/knowledge from everyone. I have a 2012 CVO Road glide that I have the motor apart on right now...here is the list of items that I am anticipating doing while it's apart and a few options that I am considering:
mild head port clean up/valve job, screamin eagle cam plate/Hi Vol oil pump combo with zipper's tensioners and Axtell oil bypass, manual primary chain tensioner, new compensator if needed, shim rockers for end play if needed, adjustable pushrods, new lifters, new inner cam bearings. I think that was all on the definitely list.

Here is where I am struggling - the original cylinders had been bored 0.010 over at 12k miles due to a wrist pin clip letting loose(is what the dealer tells me), I had a local machine shop measure the pistons and cylinders for me and they say that they can get new rings and hone the cylinders. I'm debating whether I replace just rings or put new higher compression pistons in? So far what I have found for pistons that can be put in are Zipper's 10.9:1 pistons that would allow me to have the cylinders bored to 0.014 over and fit the pistons. I'm not sure if 10.9:1 is going to be to high to run 91-93 octane, also not sure longevity wise how well that will hold up. Otherwise I can re-ring and just bump compression a little with milling the head and a 0.030 head gasket. With Higher compression pistons I was thinking of running the Redshift 576, without the hi comp pistons I was looking at the redshift 587.

That's a lot all at once, but just trying to get some help deciding on a direction. Appreciate any suggestions/ideas from any and all involved. Not trying to spend 6-8k, trying to keep the cost around 3k(ish) lol.
2012 CVO Road Glide Custom FLTRXSE
Baker +1.5 oil pan
Fuel Moto X-pipe
2.5 Core Screamin Eagle Mufflers
SERT
Compensaver

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Help - Motor build time
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »

bore them +.060 and go 113".

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

I agree with Kirby, 113 is good bang/buck and many Piston choices available.

What is the Crank run-out??

Is the front Connecting Rod OK??

How many miles on the motor??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »

Get the crank balanced, trued, welded and pinned.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »

There are some very knowledgeable people on here, and I'm hoping for help/ideas/knowledge from everyone. I have a 2012 CVO Road glide that I have the motor apart on right now...here is the list of items that I am anticipating doing while it's apart and a few options that I am considering:
mild head port clean up/valve job, screamin eagle cam plate/Hi Vol oil pump combo with zipper's tensioners and Axtell oil bypass, manual primary chain tensioner, new compensator if needed, shim rockers for end play if needed, adjustable pushrods, new lifters, new inner cam bearings. I think that was all on the definitely list.

Here is where I am struggling - the original cylinders had been bored 0.010 over at 12k miles due to a wrist pin clip letting loose(is what the dealer tells me), I had a local machine shop measure the pistons and cylinders for me and they say that they can get new rings and hone the cylinders. I'm debating whether I replace just rings or put new higher compression pistons in? So far what I have found for pistons that can be put in are Zipper's 10.9:1 pistons that would allow me to have the cylinders bored to 0.014 over and fit the pistons. I'm not sure if 10.9:1 is going to be to high to run 91-93 octane, also not sure longevity wise how well that will hold up. Otherwise I can re-ring and just bump compression a little with milling the head and a 0.030 head gasket. With Higher compression pistons I was thinking of running the Redshift 576, without the hi comp pistons I was looking at the redshift 587.

That's a lot all at once, but just trying to get some help deciding on a direction. Appreciate any suggestions/ideas from any and all involved. Not trying to spend 6-8k, trying to keep the cost around 3k(ish) lol.

I would consider the S&S camplate/oil pump kit.  There is no advantage to the SE camplate over the stock camplate.  I have tried the Axtell Oil Bypass, and while it works as advertised when functioning properly, I had repeated problems with it sticking.  Axtell replaced it once with a new "coated" plunger and cylinder, only to have the problem repeat.  The fact they replaced the first piece with a "coated" piece tells me it's been a problem for them.

I would consider installing AV&V or Kibblewhite beehive valve springs.  I would consider a camshaft with gentle ramps and not go wild with lift.  You can get a lot of suggestions from the crowd here on cams.  Whatever cams you chose, they need to be compatible with your piston/compression choice.  Careful of compression.  Heat comes with compression, especially with a dicey cam choice.  Valve spring and camshaft suggestions are to reduce strain on your lifters.  The most important aspect of your cylinders (in my opinion) is the quality of the shop doing the work.  Straight, round and properly sized is important!  Easier said then done.  Inspect your crank and connecting rods.  If they need work, you will blow your budget quickly...

Good luck and have fun with!

https://www.sscycle.com/oil-pumps-cam-plates/

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:56:09 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.