Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cometic .030 ok?  (Read 1409 times)

ultraredneck

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Cometic .030 ok?
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:26 PM »

Hi all, been a member here for a while, but have not posted much. I have an 03 FLHTCUISE103 (my own personal hacked up HD name!). Anyway, I have had my 103 kit installed for about 12000 miles and I am pretty happy with it....but..... well, a bit more HP would be nice. Sooooo, I ordered this:

Zippers RedShift 575 chain cams
Zippers Oil Bypass shim
Zippers adjustable pushrods
Delkron cam support plate
Zippers Thundermax with Autotune
Cometic .030 head gasket

I have all of the parts but now I am concerned that the cometic 030 head gasket may not be compatable, can anyone tell me if I will be ok? Doesn't seem like that much of a difference....but in engine tollerances I want to be very careful! Is anyone using it on thier SE103 setup?

Any feeback would be appriciated!
Thanks,
Randy
2010 FLHTCUSE
2004 FLHRI

hogasm

Re: Cometic .030 ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:37:01 PM »

What heads?

Any work been done to them?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »

Ultraredneck,

Well now your asking a question that has a lot more questions attached to it. 
Did you install the 10.5 to 1 pistons when you built your home grown 103?  If not which pistons did you use?  What is your current compression ratio?  Which heads are you running?   Are the heads your running decked or had anything done to them or are they stock harley heads?   If they are stock heads then you will need to make sure they can handle the lift from the Zippers 575's.  Somewhere on this great site you will find all the statistics I posted on the 575's from the testing done with them such as lift duration etc.  The cometic gasket is the least of your concerns while you have these outstanding questions.   You will only be changing your compression by a little using the cometic .030 vs. the standard harley .040 or 050.   Once you have answered all these questions its time to call Zippers and ask if you bought the right cam for the setup.

Best of luck with the build,

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ultraredneck

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »

The heads (103), pistons, crank, etc... are all from the HD SE103 kit (the same one they put on the CVO), part number 29842-03.

From HD:

Screamin' Eagle® 103 Cubic Inch Stage I Kit for EFI Models

Bring your Twin Cam Touring motorcycle up to the same displacement and power output as the CVO Screamin' Eagle® models - a whopping 1690cc. This 50-state street legal kit combines all the proven components of the Screamin' Eagle® models - the 4-3/8" stroker flywheel assembly, 3-7/8" big-bore cast pistons, big bore cylinders, SE-253 camshafts, cylinder heads, air cleaner assembly and cover insert. The black highlighted Screamin' Eagle® 103 cylinder heads and cast piston combination offer a 9:1 compression ratio for easy starting. The cylinder heads also prominently feature the "Screamin' Eagle® 103" script. Kit includes all required gaskets (except primary cover) and hardware to complete the installation. Street legal when used with stock mufflers on '03 models.

Black

Fits '03 EFI Touring models. Installation requires ECM Calibration (not included). Street Legal when used with stock mufflers.

Thanks!
Randy
2010 FLHTCUSE
2004 FLHRI

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »

Randy (Ultraredneck),

From HD:

Screamin' Eagle® 103 Cubic Inch Stage I Kit for EFI Models

Bring your Twin Cam Touring motorcycle up to the same displacement and power output as the CVO Screamin' Eagle® models - a whopping 1690cc. This 50-state street legal kit combines all the proven components of the Screamin' Eagle® models - the 4-3/8" stroker flywheel assembly, 3-7/8" big-bore cast pistons, big bore cylinders, SE-253 camshafts, cylinder heads, air cleaner assembly and cover insert. The black highlighted Screamin' Eagle® 103 cylinder heads and cast piston combination offer a 9:1 compression ratio for easy starting. The cylinder heads also prominently feature the "Screamin' Eagle® 103" script. Kit includes all required gaskets (except primary cover) and hardware to complete the installation. Street legal when used with stock mufflers on '03 models.

Black

Fits '03 EFI Touring models. Installation requires ECM Calibration (not included). Street Legal when used with stock mufflers.

I think your going to be really really happy with the setup above and the .030 gaskets, 575's.  This was the exact setup we had in my wifes pumpkin and my wife really hated taking the cam out of her bike she really misses the power improvement.   Your dyno charts should mimic what has already been shown on the site.   I expect the grin factor will also improve :)

Post the dyno's when your done.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ultraredneck

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:19:36 PM »

Harry,

Great, so youre saying that you installed the .030 on a CVO motor and had no problems. I was worried that there would be a clearance issue....but I guess I'll be ok.

When I get it together I'll be sure to post my "seat o' the pants" dyno results!  :-)  If I can get it to a real dyno I will do that too.

Thanks,
Randy
2010 FLHTCUSE
2004 FLHRI

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.