Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery issues  (Read 926 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Battery issues
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »

A friend of mine has a 16 Trike. While trailering it and leaving the keys in the trunk, the battery goes dead.
He has also used the security code, whereas not leaving the key in the trunk, same problem.
Anyone else having this problem? He said he found lots of owners having the same issue on the internet.
He had the bike and battery checked at his dealer, they found nothing wrong!

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Battery issues
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »

sounds like he is not putting it into transport mode properly.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »

A friend of mine has a 16 Trike. While trailering it and leaving the keys in the trunk, the battery goes dead.
He has also used the security code, whereas not leaving the key in the trunk, same problem.
Anyone else having this problem? He said he found lots of owners having the same issue on the internet.
He had the bike and battery checked at his dealer, they found nothing wrong!

Taz

I believe skratch came up with the problem and the answer.  The security system is being tripped by all the motion that occurs while the bike is being trailered.  Leaving a fob in the trunk doesn't deactivate the security system.  It takes two things to deactivate the security system, the fob AND turning on the ignition.  Of course you don't want to leave the ignition on all the way to the destination, so you need to use the transport mode, which was designed for this very reason.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »

Just to clarify, he used travel mode to transport the trike to Maggie Valley. Taking it off the trailer, it would not start.
We traveled 2 days from Wisconsin to Maggie Valley. On the way back he left the key in the tour pack, we traveled
3 days without travel mode, and the bike started, no problem. He used the bike a couple days later, everything was OK.
Went to start the bike 2 days later, dead battery! Took it to his dealer, they checked everything, battery load, corrions,
loose connections, everything, checked OK! That's what makes no sense!

Oh, he DID NOT forget to turn the ignition off when he turned the bike off on the trailer, or the last time he used the bike.
The "TAZMUN"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »

I believe skratch came up with the problem and the answer.  The security system is being tripped by all the motion that occurs while the bike is being trailered.  Leaving a fob in the trunk doesn't deactivate the security system.  It takes two things to deactivate the security system, the fob AND turning on the ignition.  Of course you don't want to leave the ignition on all the way to the destination, so you need to use the transport mode, which was designed for this very reason.

Jerry
Perhaps the security system has changed over time.   :nixweiss:  At least on my 2018 (the only one I have to check) having the fob present will deactivate the security system even when the ignition is off.  Without the security fob present just shaking the handlebars a bit will cause the security system to alarm.  With the security fob in the tour-pak I could not get it to do so. . .and the ignition was off.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »

On my 2010 Ultra, was recently being towed into Amarillo after breaking down (limp mode) on the road.  The bike was on a trailer and when we started to pull out the security system of course started to go off.  The driver stopped and I put the fob in the handlebar bag and no more problems.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »

Perhaps the security system has changed over time.   :nixweiss:  At least on my 2018 (the only one I have to check) having the fob present will deactivate the security system even when the ignition is off.  Without the security fob present just shaking the handlebars a bit will cause the security system to alarm.  With the security fob in the tour-pak I could not get it to do so. . .and the ignition was off.

They must have changed something.  How about this scenario; can you now disconnect the battery with just the fob present but not have to turn on the ignition?  As we all know, in the past that would result in the security alarm going off because the security system was not turned off until the ignition was turned on.  Now I'm curious.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.