Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: broken pushrod  (Read 4111 times)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: broken pushrod
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »

Convenient installation design results in increased potential for flex and failure.  See Zippers (JK's) comments about pushrods at the following thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=8251.0

Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »

Don't recall who the OEM mfgr is for the SE adjustable pushrods, but this is the second bike I've had with them installed and never had problem. Used them on the Freedom cams install, and so far no issues. Maybe there was a bad batch or these were 4PM Friday afternoon production line runs? Hate to hear this chit :nixweiss:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »

Has anyone here tried the Feuling Push Rods...they make two strengths.  One is .97 and the "racing" version is 1.20, if I'm not mistaken.  They have "limited" adjustability.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

Has anyone here tried the Feuling Push Rods...they make two strengths.  One is .97 and the "racing" version is 1.20, if I'm not mistaken.  They have "limited" adjustability.

TC, if you don't mind lifting the rocker arms off at least consider adding their pushrods to the package when you get the other Zippers parts.  Full range of adjustability and, apparently, the stiffest thing on the market. Nice fat pushrods too.  When you tear it down as far as you'll have it torn down it's a bit diffcult to justify not gaining those advantages you can that are easy with little or no extra cost.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:48:26 PM »

Hello,
I must ask why use adjustable push rods if you are raising the rocker boxes? You can get all lengths of non adjustable pushrods.
When I drag raced hemi engines, the 392's had adjustable push rods that often failed. I ran the 426 that had adjustable rocker arms and never had a push rod failure.
Mike
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »

Hello,
I must ask why use adjustable push rods if you are raising the rocker boxes? You can get all lengths of non adjustable pushrods.
When I drag raced hemi engines, the 392's had adjustable push rods that often failed. I ran the 426 that had adjustable rocker arms and never had a push rod failure.
Mike

Already changing cams.  Parts potentially across multiple manufacturers.  They are very good parts.  No fixed length rod will ever be as close as I can adjust them to during installation.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »

Hello,
Mike

Even when using fixed length push rods, it is still desireable to have a means to adjust valve lash. In the example above, you did by adjusting the rocker arms.     
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:38:19 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »

IIRC, fixed length pushrods are designed for applications where you can adjust valve lash with the rocker arms.

There are applications with fixed length push rods and fixed rockers.  But, if you've got a choice, who'd want it "good enough" when almost as easily you can actually have it "good?"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 25 queries.