Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing flat battery  (Read 472 times)

Waterboy1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Changing flat battery
« on: June 27, 2019, 12:02:01 PM »

Hello, I have a Sportster 883 and the other day went to go for a ride only to find that my battery was totally flat, no lights or anything, nothing illuminates when I turn the ignition key. Up until now it turned over slowly but eventually started so I was suspect that the battery was on its way out. The bike by the way has always been left on a trickle charger. My worry is when I go to take the battery out, will the alarm come on as I know this is on a separate battery.
I know normally when you change the battery you turn the ignition on and remove the main fuse to stop the alarm from coming on but as the battery is totally flat will this method still work? Any advice would be much appreciated.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Changing flat battery
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »

Check the ground bolt/connection under the engine......caused starting and charging issues on my Wife's '06 Sporty.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Waterboy1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »

Thanks will do, but just in case this is ok, do you know if it is possible to take out the battery if it it is totally flat without the alarm from coming on?
Cheers
Paul

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »

I never Heard of a separate battery for alarm. My alarm has gone off before and drained the main (only) battery low enough not to start bike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:23:39 PM by bigchuck »
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Waterboy1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »

Yes apparently the siren has a back up battery 9v for if the main battery dies.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

What model year bike, and is the security system a manual set / manual disarm type with a push button fob, or is it the automatic proximity type?  The next question is, does the system have the optional siren?  The siren is the part that has a separate 9V rechargeable battery, so cutting a battery cable won't keep the siren from sounding.

IF you have the proximity type (plain fob, no push button), then yes you should switch the ignition on and then remove the main fuse before removing the battery cables from the battery posts.  Turn the ignition off after you pull the main fuse so you won't forget later when you install the new battery.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Waterboy1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »

Thanks Jerry,

it is a plain fob, no push button. If I have no power at all in the battery though will anything happen when I turn on the ignition? Obviously when there is a little power left in the battery turning on the ignition will help de activate the alarm. My worry is because the battery is totally dead, and I turn on the ignition, remove the main fuse the siren will sound and I cannot turn it off.

Cheers
Paul

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.