Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V & H Sound Characteristics  (Read 3124 times)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
V & H Sound Characteristics
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »

I’m contemplating just going with either V & H Classics or Ovals slip-ons right now.  I’ve never heard either one, and realizing that sound is very subjective, how would you describe the sound characteristics compared to Rinehart True Duels?

Thanks

Gregg

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: V & H Sound Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »

I’m contemplating just going with either V & H Classics or Ovals slip-ons right now.  I’ve never heard either one, and realizing that sound is very subjective, how would you describe the sound characteristics compared to Rinehart True Duels?

Thanks

Gregg

Gregg,

I've run V&H Classic slip-ons on V&H true duals for about 40,000 miles on an 88 incher. When I was looking to buy pipes, I was at Daytona, and walked around and listened to as many bikes as I could. I really thought they had the best sound. Nice rumble, not brash nor tinny.

The Rineharts weren't out back then. Comparing them to Rineharts on a comparable bike, they are more of a mellow tone. The Rineharts have a sharper sound to them, probably due to the size of the baffle. The Rinehart is a good sound, and I am putting them on my new bike, but it is louder, and a bit coarser, if that makes any sense.

My concern with the Rineharts is that they might be a bit too loud. I'll have to wait and see.

I still have the V&H Classics, and wouldn't mind shipping them out to you if you want to try them.

Chief

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »

I've not owned both pipes, but have heard and ridden behind the V&H Ovals on a 103" motor, and I have the RH's on my 06 SEUC.  Chief's description is a good one.  All these muffs will "bark" a bit more on our larger engines.  One other way to describe the difference between the RH true duals with 2 1/4" baffle and the V&H Ovals would be that to my ear, the RH's chop the sound off a bit more on the stroke of the engine.  Neither pipe is "tinney" or "raspy" IMO.  The RH's are a bit louder though.

I run RH's, by the way.  They are not quiet pipes, but not too loud for my taste.  90% of the time, I wear a full face helmet.  I've ridden behind RH's all day long without minding it a bit.

Either of these pipes will really bark when you get on them though...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »

Thanks guys, it appears that they have a nice tone and are slightly quieter than RH’s, I’ve done a fair amount of riding along side a bud who has a 95” sporting RH’s and that is about as loud as I would like to get. 

Chief, your offer is too generous, I would never inconvenience someone that way, but I really appreciate the offer.

Thanks

Gregg

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »

Thanks

Gregg

Gregg,
I have the V&H ovals on my SEUC.  I really like the sound of them.  I got the chance, at my dealership to hear two bikes, side-by-by side, one with the V&H ovals and the other with the Rineharts.  The Rineharts are louder than the Ovals, but I thought the Ovals had a little bit more of an "HD Rumble" to them.  To my ears, the bike sounded the way I wanted it to sound.  I love the sound everytime I fire the bike up. They will definitely bark, but at the same time, I can cruise at 75 and hear the radio with no problem.  I wear all sorts of helmets, full, 3/4, and 1/2, and they are obviously louder with the half on, but then again, so is everything else, including the radio.  I had narrowed down to V&H Ovals and the Rineharts...after I heard the two the Rineharts were a little too loud for me and didn't quite have the rumble that I wanted.  That's just my "by the ear" report.  ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:09:56 PM »

I have the Ovals on my '06 CUSE along with the V&H Dresser Duals.  Nice sound. Loud enough, but not too loud.  You won't be sorry if you go with the Ovals.

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »

I have the Vance and Hines dresser duels and the ovals on my bike and love them :2vrolijk_21:
WOODY

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »

Take a look in this site, has dyno charts on many exhaust, I've talked to them, they like V&H Classic and ovals too.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=108&posts=331&start=1

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »

I originally put that site on the web board here for the dyno chart and have talked with the guy who did all of the dyno runs.  Pretty smart guy. 

I decided to go with the V&H Ovals after listening to a friends 06 CVO bike with the RH on it.  To loud and behind the bike it simply hurt the ears when he would rap on it.

With the V&H slip ons stock air filter HD Race Tuner the HP was 92 and 112 pounds of torque.  The dyno test was done at Latus Motors by the guy who did the Dyno chart.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »

I have the Ovals on my seeg,I love them!They sound great!I added Bassini head pipes and now they are almost as loud as Rinehart's,just a different sound.But I have buddies with the Rinehart's and they are sweet also.Sorry I no I was not much help! :2vrolijk_21: :orange:
hdnut

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:51:54 PM »

I have the V@H true duals with the classic mufflers with end caps and I love the sound. They are not overly loud and the best part they aren't to loud for my wife when we are two up. :)
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.